Digitised Free Plans

Fun Flyer

I've just been reading some of the comments on the Flea Fli thread regarding the need to cut the plan to match up the fuselage. I see the same problem with Peter Miller's Peggy Sue 2 plan which I'm currently considering. I really don't like mutilating plans and I was wondering if it would be an option to make the free plans available to download for subscribers. Then we could just print off the bits we need. I had thought of getting the plan scanned but its not that easy to find a print shop with the facility, or the will, to do it.

Flea Fli original plan has already been scanned and on Outerzone in several versions. There is a 10percent larger version there too - search for Phil Kraft and you will get all the versions plus the Kwik Fli , Ugly Stick and its versions too. Much, much more too.

Once you have downloaded the scanned plan if you open it in  Adobe Acrobat ( get a recent version ) you can print any section that you highlight ( perhaps an A4 section) If you want you can print at 100 percent or any other percentage. Tick the box on acrobat to Tile print and also the one to show joint lines.   I printed Flea Fli at 137 percent and selotaped the sections to make a fuselage plan which is about 44inches long = makes a .40 size model.

if you roll  any plan you should be able to fit a section on an A4 printer/scanner and copy the extra parts in A4 size sections and selotape them together or to the main plan.   Needs a white backing sheet and a heavy book or catalogue to press the plan down onto the scanner.  Make sure your printer does not distort in one direction!

Edited By kc on 03/07/2018 12:06:14

Edited By kc on 03/07/2018 12:07:04

If you print in A4 sections make sure they overlap a little then cut one half down the joint line, pin the other piece down to building board, then align the cut line exactly in line, use a ruler in the other 90 degree direction to get straight, drawing pin down and then apply Selotape. Then turn over and Selotape the overlap on the reverse. Use the join lines from Acrobat or some convenient part like rudder hinge line. Or pencil lines onto plan before you scan.

Apologies if I wasn't clear. My point was, would it be possible for the Mag's free plans to be made available here in digital format for download by subscribers?
I have downloaded and printed plans from Outerzone in the past without any problem..