TDF 2018

Advert

I watched on and off. More entertaining than any of the earlier stages (my wife was probably watching somewhere along the route as she's cycling in Brittany this week).

Generally the first week of the Tour isn't really worth watching until the last 10km and, let's face it, time trialling is a participant sport rather than one to watch. I much prefer the drawn out drama of the mountain stages.

Geoff

Certainly a great watch.

My wife and watched the Tour over the Cormet de Roseland some years ago when we were cycle camping in Beaufort at its foot. While we were there we rode light over the HC Coldu Pre - just a short loop but I remember having to push my bottom gear (one I rarely used even when loaded with 4 panniers). Now I know why It's a beautiful area and we enjoyed revisiting it via the Eurosport Player.

No spoilers here but I assure you it's worth watching.

Geoff

They actually did cause Nibali to crash. G said he had to ride over Nibali's bike's back wheel. Apparently he's been to hospital in Grenoble and has a cracked vertebra which may mean he's out of the Tour which will certainly spoil the rest of the race (to say nothing of his health).

Most of the top sprinters have abandoned because of being outside the time time limit (or so far off the back they would be if they continued) - that's Cavendish, Kittel, Greipel, Gavira, and Groenewegen. The Uran and Porte are out because of broken bones and Tony Martin because of illness. It seems a lot more than in previous Tours. Perhaps having a Roubaix stage with all the cobbles followed closely by 3 mammoth Alpine stages, (2 with mountain top finishes) is something to do with it.

The lack of so many top sprinters is going to make the so-called sprinters world championship on the Champs Elysee a bit less of a spectacle. If I were a betting man I'd back Sagan.

Still today's stage had my wife and I on the edge of our seats throughout.

Geoff

You have to wonder what they will be chatting about at the Team Sky tactics table tonight. Does G go back to riding for Froome, or do they flip it and go with G? He looks strong enough to be a candidate all the way to the end now, especially given some of the other abandonments. Or do they let them carry on fighting it out and hope that pulls them clear of the other GC competitors? Fascinating. Brailsford and the team psychologist have definitely got their work cut out for them...

Froome can perform for 3 weeks. G, over the distance, not so sure. Having said that, it would be great to see him take the yellow. Froome already has 6 of them!

Agreed on the spectators on the climbs. Utter idiots and shame on them. What an absolute nightmare end for Nibali.

Last stage finish will certainly be a bit odd with all the sprinters out.

I did spot the Dakota/C47/DC3 whatever (I'm sure there are differences) that lookled as if it was being re-engined (or having its engines overhauled). Eurosport (or their image suppliers) lingered on it for a while.

The anti Sky spectators seem to be taking it out on G for some reason when there isn't a scintilla of evidence that he's done anything wrong (I don't think Froome has either). The trouble is the Festina scandal followed by the huge amount of systematic doping carried out by Armstrong's team has tarred everyone with the same dirty brush. Moreover, Armstrong was a vindictive bully (probably still is at heart) whereas both Froome and (especially) G are unfailingly polite and considerate of their rivals. Plus G always has a touch of dry humour in his interviews.

Also, I wish they'd scrap those awful flares which contributed to Nibali's fall apparently. None of those lighting them can be cyclists because none of the riders want to breathe in smoke when they're already working at near maximum effort. I tend to try and hold my breath on the odd occasion when I have to ride through bonfire smoke drifting across the road.

Geoff