Ben Buckle Mini Super - Build

Even though hobbyking claims my servos are arriving today, I decided I couldn't wait and needed to do something to the model. I didn't want to start the tail because I need to go out and get some more strip wood, so I elected to make up the hatch/fairing on the nose. After sanding it, it looks quite good. I am yet to decide weather I will glue it straight down to the model or have some sort of release system in place in order to access the fuel tank with more ease when installed. I will probably end up using magnets. I was also tempted to further reinforce the cabin area; during sanding the fuselage down I noticed that it was still a weak section so I have put in some strengthening beams.

canopy2.jpeg

canopy1.jpeg

canopy3.jpeg

Advert

So as it turned out hobbyking did deliver and my servos have arrived. They are metal gear Corona servos and are a bargain! I think these ones are 22g and have a good range of movement. I have also managed to install the dowels for holding the wing on and the landing gear.

servofus2.jpeg

servofus1.jpeg

With regards to the tail, the plans indicate it is to be mounted with rubber bands however, I opted for a more permanent solution. I made up a balsa block which I then layered with light-ply. I installed a blind nut on the soft balsa side and the nylon bolt will come up against the ply side. I installed this in the tail section. I will then add something that will hook the front of the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage and then the back of it will screw in.

tailmount1.jpeg

tailmount3.jpeg

tailmount2.jpeg

So, fuel tank arrived today and I decided to install it. As I assembled the fuselage before I cut the slots in the formers, I was not looking forward to the awkward task of cutting the slot. Surprisingly, it was fairly easy and came out nice and straight. I have also finished mounting all the dowels necessary for the landing gear and the wings.

fueltank2.jpeg

fueltank1.jpeg

So I actually decided to use the firewall mount because it was a better option than using the supplied aluminium plate as it would not absorb vibrations as well as the firewall motor mount. I reinforced the front former with another ply sheet. The former was then stiff enough for me to mount both the engine and the nose gear to it.

enginemount3.jpeg

enginemount2.jpeg

enginemount1.jpeg

I bent the nose gear to shape and then mounted it to the former using a strong thin string and a coat of epoxy over the top. It turned out very well and is nice and straight. I then couldn't resist putting the engine on as a mock up and taking a few photos...

nosegear1.jpeg

engine1.jpeg

engine3.jpeg

Some new fuel arrived today and I couldn't resist test running my Irvine 20 because I personally had never run it. My engine test platform was accidentally scrapped because for some reason people kept telling me it looked an awful lot like an old shelf. I however was and am adamant it was most certainly a test bench...

I had to improvise a quick mount out of some other old shelves and the finished product was very messy and just barely passable for a test bench. However, it did work and I was eager to try running the engine.

To start with, it was obviously quite stiff as it hadn't had fuel through it in donkeys years. After flicking the prop till my arm was to the point of falling off, it had loosened up and was looking more an more likely to start. When I did get it going, I noticed the idle was erratic but 1/4 tank later and after some full throttle run ups, it was at a steady and strong idle. It now starts easily and runs well. And my improvised test bed didn't break and I still have all my fingers so I would say that is a success.

Going on holiday for the coming week so won't be able to post anything for a little while. Have a good summer,

Luccaaa

highqualityengine2.jpeg

highqualityengine4.jpeg

fuel1.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Great build so far Luccaaa! Glad that people are still using diesels and building open frameworks.

You might want to consider using an exhaust deflector to direct some of the exhaust gunk away from the model. Just Engines sell them. It shouldn't affect the engine performance too much for general flying. I use one on my Super 60.

• 1 month later...

Been away and distracted on other projects for a few months, and repairing models that crashed during the wonderful summer weather. Now the rain and autumn seems to have set in the Mini Super seems to have made its way back onto the workbench. Hopefully I can have it flying soon enough...

Well I've managed to do a little bit on the nose today as I am still waiting for some more strip wood to arrive so I can start the wings. I still need to do a bit more sanding and finishing but the general shape of the nose looks ok. I am also still wondering if I should deviate from the plans and make the model 4 channel and decrease the dihedral on the wings or keep it 3 channel. I find myself swaying towards the 4 channel option for more control and maneuverability in flight.

nosesand1.jpeg

Hi Dwain,

I fly all of my other 3 channel models with as you say with aileron channel assigned to rudder. I have no problem with 3 channel models however for this particular aircraft I might consider 4 channel for more advanced manuvering. That being said it is nice to go out on a calm day and fly a 3 channel. More relaxing...

• 3 months later...

After a brief break of a mere 3 months I've remembered to upload some photos! Haven't managed to get an awful lot done as of late just because I've become more busy. I have however managed to get the wings built and the centre section which joins them done too. The left wing had a slight warp once I'd finished it but I corrected the problem by pinning the wing flat and lightly spraying it with water. After a couple of days I pulled it off the board and now its perfect.

whatsapp image 2019-01-29 at 8.56.45 pm.jpeg

whatsapp image 2019-01-29 at 8.56.31 pm.jpeg

whatsapp image 2019-01-29 at 8.56.29 pm.jpeg

Most of us take a break and then come back to building when weather stops us flying ....

I note that in addition to the kit at 56 pounds Ben Buckle offer just the plan at 6 pounds which compares very favourably with other plan suppliers. Of course anyone could download the plan from Outerzone for nothing but the cost of printing it at a copy shop might be nearly as much. However Outerzone have 2 different versions - one is the original and the other is the later version from Aviation Modeller.

Ben Buckle also have some other plans at about 5 or 6 pounds which seems quite good value nowadays. The Bushwacker plan is 5 pounds and a kit at 62 pounds.

Hi Luccaaa

I admire your build and it is very inspiring, hopefully I can find some time to start my next build soon.

Have you made a decision about the three or four channel, aileron or not?

I have a 45 year old Kiel Kraft Mini Super. A few years ago I gave it some rebuild (not the first one) and put in two wing servos, decreased the dihedral and put in ailerons. Of course it lost some of its originality but I find it much more fun to fly.

2824974.jpeg

B

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finished the wings and have started the tail section. Decided to have a little day dream about what it will look like when done so I popped the wings on. They don't sit entirely straight yet but I'll rectify that with some foam strips on each side to straighten them out. I plan to cover the model in hobbyking film - I've used it in the past and found it great value for money! However, I'm still waiting on it to come back into stock. I send an email asking when and they said beginning of March so it'll be a little while before I can start covering. I'm planning on a boring white fus and "lime" tinted transparent covering for the wings and tail.

wingmount4.jpeg

elevator1.jpeg

verticalstabilizer1.jpeg

wingmount13.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a while...

I've been doing bits and bobs on the Mini Super on and off since my last posting, it's now at the point where I've covered it, hinged the control surfaces, made the pushrods and added the appropriate mountings for the elevator. It's been covered in the left overs from my Arising Star which needed a recovering at the start of 2019. Now before the maiden I'm just waiting for some bits and bobs to arrive from eBay to complete the model.

covered3.jpeg

covered2.jpeg

covered1.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to finishing the Mini Super. Everything is in and is all working. I'm hoping to maiden it soon if the weather holds up hot.

Here are two pictures of the Irvine 20's first run in the model. (It really is a brilliant little motor, it starts easier than some of my glow engines.)

enginerun2.jpeg

enginerun1.jpeg