What actually is Storage Mode ?

Lipo Storage Mode seems to be anywhere between 30-50% charge.

What's the actual point of it ?

Is it to prolong the life of the batteries by putting them in Storage Mode over say winter OR is it (as I suspect) a part-charge for shipping purposes from far east so the battery doesnt have a full charge ?

I know many people who simply fully charge their Lipos up at start of Winter and leave them until they need them without any apparent problems. Others put them in Storage Mode presumably in an effort to prolong their life ?

Advert

"Storage mode" is generally accepted to be 50% charge. "Transit mode" seems to be 30% charge these days, to reduce the risk of combustion while being transported.

Storing a LiPo at 50% or less prolongs its life, and also reduces significantly the risk of it venting and flaming if it suffers damage. 30% reduces the risk of vent and flame even further (less energy in the battery) and, I believe, prolongs the life even further. I generally store my LiPos at whatever percentage charge they finish up at when I've finished flying (usually 20% to 25%), and don't charge them until the day I plan to fly again. This does have the very slight risk that they might self-discharge down to an unrecoverable level if I leave them for a long time, but I check them from time to time and so far I've never had so much as about 2% loss over a year.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 18/07/2018 20:07:32:
30% reduces the risk of vent and flame even further (less energy in the battery) and, I believe, prolongs the life even further.

I'm not sure about that although I stand to be corrected. The last LiPos I bought came discharged to "transit level" with a note imploring me to restore them to storage charge levels as soon as I received them as leaving them for any length of time would damage them. This was supposedly to comply with postal regulations although I can see no obvious reference to this in the Parcel Force website guidance.

As I'm a LiPo Philistine, regularly discharging to 10% and charging them fully either immediately after use or just before the next session without obvious detriment to their useful life I'm not totally convinced - but that was the supplier's guidance...

John Lee And not Or . Why? Personally I steer clear of Lipos as they need too much attention and I'm a lazy ole git. The exception is those supplied in RTF models with a wall wart type charger..I have multi meters but only check the voltages in my Nimh packs.. Some of which are at least `13 years old and haven't been charged for 5 of them and still have a charge in them. I don't know how they'll be in use though: although they still light up the Txs when switched on. I'll not be able to check until I have had at least one hip replaced.no

Posted by onetenor on 19/07/2018 03:03:23:

John Lee And not Or . Why?

The OP asked "Is it to prolong the life of the batteries by putting them in Storage Mode over say winter OR is it (as I suspect) a part-charge for shipping purposes from far east so the battery doesnt have a full charge ?" the point of my reply was that it is used for both things, so it's 'AND' and not the mutually exclusive 'OR'.

Edited By John Lee on 19/07/2018 11:04:18

Posted by Martin Harris on 19/07/2018 01:33:06:
Posted by Allan Bennett on 18/07/2018 20:07:32:
30% reduces the risk of vent and flame even further (less energy in the battery) and, I believe, prolongs the life even further.

I'm not sure about that although I stand to be corrected. The last LiPos I bought came discharged to "transit level" with a note imploring me to restore them to storage charge levels as soon as I received them as leaving them for any length of time would damage them. . . . .

Yes, I've seen the same message, and I ignore it after checking that the new battery is at 30% or thereabouts, and all cells reasonably balanced. The only reason I can think of for not leaving them at 30% is that they might self-discharge below a recoverable voltage. But my experience is that with well-maintained modern LiPos it will take years for that to happen so, as I said before, just check the voltages from time to time if storing for an extended period.