Advert

David Davis - Yes, it is. I may well take you up on your offer! The old motorhome/hanger/clubhouse has been asking for another trip to France, as has Mrs. R, but with grandchild No3 on its way it may not be this year. As we simply cross the Channel and look at the weather forecasts, most of our wanderings are pretty unscripted and we really like to use Camping Municipals.

Martyn - the STOL-X thread looks like just the ticket. This is a plane I have had in mind to build - along with the 362 and 363 Deltas, plus Norman Warner's G-ERUP, RM Plan 191, introduced in the January 1978 edition of Radio Modeller.

Denis - this hankering after STOL models is partly due to my garden. It backs onto fields, but with other houses left, right and behind us. I CAN fly my little UMX Radian from their, with a hand launch and either a catch or a dodgy touch down ), but there's no way I could get a normal plane in safely. From memory, we have about 0.1 of an acre total, with a nice big raised and terraced area up to 3m height, with hedging and sturdy wooden fencing in the approach All complicated by a 5m x 4m glass-roofed conservatory and a roof-full of Solar panels just waiting to be attacked. And a big pond. 1m deep. For some reason, I am fixated on getting in and out of the garden, but a mistake could be awfully expensive.

Soooo much to do, so little time!

• 7 months later...

David Davis - a STOL Mk2 plan appeared on Ebay. Now it's mine and on it's way! First part to build will be the wing - just in case one heads to France. All the more likely with the motorhome having sailed through another MOT this morning.

I've been working hard on "vertical" landings on flap- and flaperon-equipped models and have yet to have a seriously-damaging event, apart from undercarriage failures.

The next step will be to fashion some slatted-wing versions and see how that goes - "ye'll never ken if ye dinnae try" is my approach to these things.

dscf2652.jpgdscf2651.jpgdscf2650.jpgdscf2649.jpgPosted by John Robertson 3 on 18/03/2019 23:14:14:

I've been working hard on "vertical" landings on flap- and flaperon-equipped models and have yet to have a seriously-damaging event, apart from undercarriage failures.

My Experimental STOL U/C John

From this prototype, I have already worked out that the axle box can be fashioned from one piece of steel

And the whole assembly could be weldeddscf2648.jpg

Has been tested, but needs 4mm rod next time

Posted by Doc Marten on 19/03/2019 14:59:18:
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/03/2019 08:27:12:

You might be interested in this as a future project when the plan comes out. The ultimate in scale STOL

**LINK**

**LINK**

Would this make a suitable basic trainer Peter? It would make a nice change from the generic designs we often see.

Edited By Doc Marten/03/2019 15:01:28

From the flying point of view, yes, it would be great as a basic trainer. It is so stable and rock steady that I was amazed as soon as it took off on the very first flight. When I wasflying it for the camera I wasdoing very tight turns etc and it never tried tobite.

It is a bit complicate as a build because of the rear fuselage structure and the wing slats.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the general approach when it comes to flying a STOL plane . I'm particularly interested in the relationship between , throttle , flaps and elevator i.e . the when , where and how bit of the take off and landing phases .

I know that no two designs work in the same way . But I think there must be some basics that must be followed .

As yet I'm not contemplating a model with leading edge slats .Just a run of the mill 46 size trainer whose ailerons have been modified for flaps .

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...