yobmot or backwards Tomboy

yobmot1odp.jpgMy Son attended a local hobby shop build night a few months ago and as the evening progressed the banter increased and discussions regarding the Tomboy and its great flying qualities ensued. The Tomboy is a far better flyer than you would expect and even poorly constructed ones still fly. At some point it was questioned if it could fly backwards. I must mention that no alcohol is allowed at build nights so this was a clear discussion.

Byron is always up to the challenge and decided he would build the Yobnot as it is now known. 4 crashes and many modifications later the Yobnot can now be flown reliably. It is the strangest sight to see a Tomboy flying backwards and I am not sure how Byron even manages to control it as I cannot keep up with the flight path, perhaps Dyslexia is his advantage.

Chris,

I have wondered over the years if its possible to fly backwards and have assumed the that all of the design improvements for flying in one direction compound the difficulty in flying in the opposite!

Well done to Byron for spending the time and effort...any chance of a video?

The more I think abut it the more full size aircraft seem to be heading that way with canards and leading edge controls and delta/tailless designs.

No Video yet, we all seem to stand and watch the flight without getting video or pictures of it. I will arrange with Byron that we go out and get a video of it flying. Just goes to show how many things/aspects there are to this hobby as once you think that you have done it all then you go and do it again but now backwards!

We had it at a vintage aircraft fly in on the weekend and it caused lots of discussion, won the prize for the most unusual aircraft.

Peter - on the Cub, I think it just LOOKs like the controls are facing into wind.... I think the "ailerons", "elevator" etc are just drawn on lines, and if you look carefully at the still shots around 3min 30 into the video, you can just about see new "ailerons" on the "front" of the wing. With the added dihedral on this model, that could perhaps mean this is behaving like a 3 channel V-tail or flying wing with a simple canard. Speculation... the result is undoubtedly very effective though.

We did get some video, My skills are tech related, prefer to make planes. We had 2 flights, missed the first landing, second flight Byron managed to fly through the sun and loose sight of the Yobnot, lucky the damage is not bad. We have a few ideas to improve the design. I flew the plane for a bit and my old brain was not comfortable with backwards flight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drny-57X8kM

Google Yobnot backwards Tomboy

Here's a better link Chris :

Chris I do link this flying backwards Tomboy, many thanks for sharing.

How to do a Youtube link - press on share word bottom right of the youtube view screen - press on embed share link, copy said link words and then  'copy and paste' this into the youtube icon box on this thread menu above after you have pressed it.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 31/07/2018 07:23:59

Interesting as to what all the required changes are?

• Wing tip plates
  • Turn prop around and change rotation of motor
  • Turn wings around
  • Move C of G to "canard"
  • Reverse rudder control
  • Reverse or turn around elevator/horizontal stabiliser

PS looked to fly better than some of my attempts are were travelling in the direction intended wink

Again thank Byron for his efforts, nice one.

Turn prop around? You mean fit a pusher prop. OR change motor direction and then reverse the prop Yes??

I did this in the fifties during an engine swap in an O/D cabin high winger F/F. Turned wing and tail unit round.with engine out and test glided it . (Spell check doesn't like the glided I don't know why. Glided to earth is a common phrase. Oops it likes it with a capital G. Very odd) Back on track. The plane wallowed down so I added Plasticene to the tai until it glided well. Took it to a local hill and sloped it for hours. Other flyers wanted to know how it was done. C/G was about halfway between wing and tail. Put the engine back in and went back to normal flight and thought no more about it until this post reminded me of it. I still have it awaiting renovation once I get about again.The motor was a Wen Mac .049 if anyone is at all interested. still runs well.