My new Phase 3 F-16 thoughts...

stuey

Advert

The motor upgrade for 3s is the DF210-9GL motor, 5200kv, however, it's really worth going 4s using the DF210-8XL motor, 4800kv.......so reliable, especially if you fit the 20mm heatsink as advised, just remember, if you are going to use 4s on this airframe, no bigger than 1800mAh unless you are prepared to dig out the rear of the canopy [not a big job, but you will need to get rid of the little canopy hatch and use magnets].....but it flies so much better on the lighter airframe, with little difference in flight times, this airframe is worth the mod! We do a replacement complete airframe for £34.99.

I had two f16s from you scott, when cumbria electric flight.  I had the 4 cell set up but both planes crashed as a result of terrible glitching.  I tried two receivers, a JR 77S PCM which gltched the worst, and the corona dual conversion which wasn't quite as bad.  Generally ok on half throttle but full throttle very bad. 

a) how can I stop this as I surely can't be the only person to have suffered this

b) I have noticed on Micron site that I can buy lttle ferrite rings.  Would these make any difference.

c) how is the motor in the 3 cell set up you supply an upgrade form the one supplied with the phase 3 ripmax one.

Yours...disillusioned

I had it just flapping in the wind, out of the top of the canopy.  I've decided to have another crack at this with a 3 cell set up, but still debating between the ripmax standard with esc included or the BRC one, where the esc is extra.

I was going to have a go at the fibreglass F16 from foamy jets but at over £200 without lipo I thought the investment was too much if it was to glitch about around the sky.

Unfortunately 2.4 Gig is not an option.  All my other planes have no problem on 35 meg and there is never an issue over frequencies at our site.

I had bad glitching with the aerial along the fuz, was better when taped along the leading edge as advised by motors and rotors. I have just got a Spektrum module for my Futaba FF9, they are on special offer with a few shops for £125 with the 9 channel receiver!! Will get the AR6100 receiver to go in my F-16, that will hopefully cure the scary random glitching issues

Nah, I got rid of it all in a moment of very pissed off ness...bl00dy edfs etc etc. some months ago.  But I thought I'd have another go now on a less frantic set up and use some ferrite rings, which I didn't know about at the time.  The plane flew fine on half power it was only a real problem on full power, so I'm thinking that a 3 cell / less aggressive set up might be better.

Ah, ok, shame......if that's the case, a composite F-16 is not the way to go! If you really want to do EDF....and I can see why....why not invest in a DX5 just for EDF? I mean,  £70 - ish is a lot less money than a wrecked/binned F-16 x 2.....then you can fly any EDF you like basically! At least you are not having to replace 35mghz  in all the other models?

OK, a dx 5 seems a bit pointless as it's one model, non computer (I'm assuming).  I have a JR 2610 and would want a straight replacement as I don't need 7 channels.  Is the DX 6i the same as my 2610 and what is the difference between this and the dx7.  Seems a huge price difference for one more channel.  If the DX6i is a direct repalcement for my 2610 then it could be a possibility.  What about receivers.  They seem pricey aswell.  Can you get after market ones cheaper than the Spektrum ones.  I understand that there are two receivers with little sticky out bits.  How do you fit these into a small foamy f16, there os little space as there is for a mini 35meg receiver.

Cheers for any advice...

I flew my F-16 today for the first time on a Spektrum setup. I'm using the DX6i with the 6200 receiver and it was flawless. It's the first time I have flown a plane at our field with absolutely no glitching at all, all morning I mounted the mini-receiver right up front with the aerials pointing outwards through the fuse and the main receiver 1 inch behind it at 90 degrees to the mini. Setting up the DX6i is quite easy once you're familiar with the menus but one thing you may have to do is move the control rods out on the servo arms as the elevon setting is fixed at 50% unlike my Futaba 6EX which is adjustable from 100%. I'll still use my 35Mhz gear on my cheap planes as the receivers are so cheap but 2.4Ghz is definately the future.

mmmmmmmmm??

The DX6i has the spec I need but it's like a toy and has no charger and 4 cells.  The DX7 is the same as my 2610...nicely balanced with a better quality feel.  Could afford one but would want the other.  If I was to buy one then it would have to be a long term purchase.  Maybe see what santa can afford or look out for a used one. 

Thanks for the tips all

Pete

Or go with a Schulze 535 rx. I fly my Phase 3 F16 on that with no glitches at all. The aeriel exits the canopy right by the rx and then is taped along the length of the fuselage. I fly a wide range of electric models, including EDF and fast 400 pylon racers on Schulze and Multiplex IPD rxs with no problems at all. The latter really require everything crammed in close together (motor, ESC, battery, elevator and aileron servos and rx) and operate at high power - a glitch on a VIP would almost certainly be fatal!

Julian Thacker wrote (see)
Or go with a Schulze 535 rx. I fly my Phase 3 F16 on that with no glitches at all. The aeriel exits the canopy right by the rx and then is taped along the length of the fuselage. I fly a wide range of electric models, including EDF and fast 400 pylon racers on Schulze and Multiplex IPD rxs with no problems at all. The latter really require everything crammed in close together (motor, ESC, battery, elevator and aileron servos and rx) and operate at high power - a glitch on a VIP would almost certainly be fatal!

I have a spare Schulze 535 rx if you want to try one?

For my sins I use a Al's Hobbies E-Sky 6ch rx  priced at £7.50 in my F16 right up at the front with the ariel out of the side and down the wing. There is a known hot spot where I fly so I keep out of it  and have no trouble, it certainly make me smile when I fly it.