Beagle Pup 150

Kerrigan Wild

Hi everyone,
Let me say first that I'm new to the building side of this hobby, so it's possible I'm missing something blatantly obvious. So that's the excuse out of the way - here comes the question:
I am really taken with both the I sabella and the Beagle Pup plans in the latest issue, so I'm seriously considering building both as my first and second builds over this winter. But having pulled out the plans and looked at them I see there are three sheets for Isabella and only one for the Beagle Pup. I don't see any wing plan for the Beagle Pup. So my question is:
a) am I being daft and missing something?
b) is it a sheet that is just missing from my copy?
c) has it been left out completely?

Advert

Welcome Kerrigan

I too have both on my list to build. Isabella looks fairly straightforward although there are some unconventional design features.
The Pup will be a bit more tricky to get the curves in the right place so practice on Isabella first.
There is no end to the help and information available on this forum so ask away.

Enjoy yourself above all.

Levanter

Kerrigan, welcome to the forum. Yes, a couple of nice plans in the September issue. Isabella has quite a lot of charm although personally I wouldn't build the wing that way devil.  Shaun Garity's Beagle Pup is a real gem but might be even better if scaled up a tad heart.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/08/2018 08:35:24

It's very common to put some items of the free plan on the back of the other plan!

I think it's quite important to build only those planes that will help your flying progress, so choose carefully before starting a build - it's a long task. Don't overlook the free to download plans from Outerzone if you want an alternative cheap plan.

Selection of balsa is important in the smaller planes to avoid excessive weight.  Not so critical in larger - say 52 inch span - so consider this before choosing a plan. 

Edited By kc on 22/08/2018 11:39:09

Posted by kc on 22/08/2018 11:33:10:

I think it's quite important to build only those planes that will help your flying progress,

Totally disagree.

It's a hobby, build the planes you want to build. If I took that advice I would not have built another Sharkface this year which took my progression back to where I was in 1967!....and I'd have missed out a lot of fun.

Piers

I didn't think about scaling up the Pup but that's a great idea. I have a 90 horizontal twin looking for a home so will be looking for advice about how far to scale it up.

Agree about the wing on Isabella. I am going to move the spars forward and do the normal stuff with sheer webs. With the spar so far back it accentuates the hungry horse look between the ribs. I like sheeting in front of the spars to make a box section to resist twisting but this time, to keep the microlight effect, I will probably go with riblets.

Back to the Pup this could be my first real scale project (apart from a few Guillows kits). What I would really like is the twin 206 so one day I might have a go at designing one.

Levanter

Firstly thanks to everyone who took the time out to reply. Bearing in mind the points that both Levanter and Piers have raised about Isabella, do you think I would be better off starting with a slightly simpler first build? I was considering the Bambino plan from Oct '15 before Isabella came along.

Secondly does anyone have a good suggestion for a first scale electric powered build to start with? Something to really get my teeth in to without being overly complicated? Preferably fixed undercarriage too - just to avoid retracts for a first attempt?

I think you could build Isabella with a more conventional wing Kerrigan, which would be stronger, quicker and a lot simpler by having one piece ribs, with slots top and botton for spruce or hard balsa spars. Also not forgetting some 1/16 vertical webbing glued to the spars between the ribs. This is pretty standard practice and features on all of Peter Millers designs (although he might correct me on that!). A sheeted D box is not really required on such a lightweight, lightly loaded model like this.

Regarding the Bambino, it looks simple, quick and cheap to build and obviously flies well judging by the David's video. I draw your attention to the thread as clearly there are issues with the scale of some of the parts with the free plan. You will need to do some work with your photocopier to get the pieces the right size!

I would stay away from scale models for now unless it is something like a Piper Cub:- high wing, lightly loaded, modest power, etc.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 23/08/2018 09:39:33