Battle of Britain Day 2018 - the Gallery Thread

Fly your warbird on 15th Sept and take a couple of photos post them here. Done as a tribute to the brave men of both sides who fought in the Battle.

BEB

PS Let's keep this thread for flight reports and photos only please. We can chat on the other tread here

PPS Just moved a chat post to the other thread linked to above, for full details see the opening post in that thread

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/09/2018 23:05:59

Advert

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to do it today and might have to gamble on tomorrow being better. But late afternoon the wind dropped significantly and so I took advantage!

img_0727.jpg

img_0728.jpg

So my contribution to our Battle of Britain Day tribute was two flights with my Flightline 63" span Spitfire Mk IXc. Today wasn't actually a maiden but the flights were her flights number 3 and 4 respectively - so still on a learning curve with her.

Why am I holding the model? Well, in all the excitment I'd forgotten about the pictures! So I'd put the U/C up for storage, removed the battery and put my Tx away! I wasn't inclined to get it all back out again so you get me modelling the aeroplane for you!

BEB

Just got back from the field, 1 flight on the Hurri and 5 on the Seafire, had a great time kind of forgotten how much fun they are. Weather wasn't the greatest, bit blustery and visibility was quite bad, but got it done. No pics though unfortunately, forgot my phone as usual.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/09/2018 17:55:20

Saturday morning, dull and drizzly, but eventually it brightened up and we crept out of the club hut and peered around, looking for Huns,,,

This is what it looked like before the melee, just to whet your appetites.

Hopefully tomorrow, after in-flight master photographer Nigel has unloaded his camera and selected those with an aircraft in the frame, we will post some flying shots.

A very enjoyable day after all!

My squadron, both with Laser 180s...
(ignore the Hawkwink.)

bob day 5.jpg

Sq/L Jeff joins in...

bob day 2.jpg

Steve.

Edited By Steve Dunne on 15/09/2018 19:12:27

We managed to get 3 Hurricanes to the field today. One had been put away before we got any photos but here are a few.

img-20180915-wa0000.jpg

Chris Walby's (I believe?)

img-20180915-wa0001.jpg

My ancient Pegasus Hurricane, which I bought at the 2003 Watford Swapmeet when it looked very well used and weathered...and nothing has changed for the better since! I've been meaning to recommission it for the last 5 or 6 years and it's probably 10 years since she last flew. I had a few problems while I quickly programmed the model onto my current transmitter - the throttle was gummed up and the servo was dragging down the battery but I freed it easily. When I got to the field, the first problem was that I could get no response from the retracts - after some diagnostics and a few successful cycles it became apparent that the fill valve was faulty so in the spirit of the occasion, I took the decision to fly regardless (spring downs have their benefits!). On to the starting bench and after the first spin of the engine, the compression disappeared completely. Guessing that I had a stuck valve, I whipped off the rocker box, found the exhaust valve stuck wide open, inverted the engine and filled the top of the engine with fuel, working the valves until they were free. After reassembling, I applied glow and starter and she fired and ran first time.

img-20180915-wa0002.jpg

...and (courtesy of a clubmate unfamiliar with the concept of the zoom lens) the happy results of my labours!

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/09/2018 19:29:54

Here are the flying shots taken today - many thanks to Nigel C, our intrepid and very brave cameraman.Sadly we didn't manage to get any others airborne, but these two braved the skies and put on a decent show.
Hopefully we will get many more warbirds flying soon...

Both aircraft - H9 Spitfire and YT/ESM Hurricane - are powered by Laser 180 FS engines, 18x8 props.

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-16.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-18.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-19.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-20.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-21.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-2.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-3.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-5.jpg

steve dunne warbirds 15 sept 18-1-11.jpgHappy Landings!

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...