Gangster Lite

Hi

Just bought the Gangster Lite and notice a steerable nose leg option. I’m looking for opinions on this as I don’t remember steerable noselegs lasting that long, let alone wear on the servo.

Welcome your thoughts as all my models lately have been tail draggersvso no current experience of noselegs.

Look forward to your thoughts

S

Advert

I have a steerable nosewheel on my KingPin, and it works just fine. I did make sure the front bulkhead (to which the nosewheel is attached) and the fittings were very solidly mounted. I'm only using a basic standard digital servo for both the rudder and the nosewheel. The trick is to make sure that there is a substantial z bend somewhere in the nosewheel linkage to act as a spring to protect the servo.

On my KingPin, the pushrod is 16g piano wire and runs under the tank. It crosses the fuselage (about 3" ) with two 90 degree bends. This gives plenty of "spring" while still retaining adequate steering control.

I know most clubs don't permit taxying back to the pits after landing, and I can understand why. However, I'm much happier being able to taxy my model clear of the runway / to one side of the patch before venturing out to retrieve it.

Most of my models are tail-draggers, and all the ones of any size have steerable tail wheels for this very reason.

Just my 2p worth! wink

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 27/09/2018 17:25:24

When I built mine recently, looked at the accumulated wisdom on here, then looked at where the linkage would have to run, and realised that

1) It all looked a bit tight for space, with a very convoluted linkage

and

2) I really couldn't be bothered, so I bent the supplied nose leg to make it fixed.

Still to maiden, so can't comment on ground handling, but hoping for the best!smiley

If I get around to it soon, I'll report back

Kim

I took my recently completed Pegasus, Galaxy Hornet, fixed nose wheel, very Gangsterish with trike undercarriage to the strip for the first time on Monday and its first test was taxiing.

Very pleasantly surprised, 90° turns in about 10-15ft with full rudder and enough throttle to keep it rolling with odd bursts if it slowed. I expected much worse so it was a non event, nearly equivalent to the taxiing turn I do on a foamy Wot 4.

It's not got a big tail / rudder but a fairly long fuz which must help, 2 3/4 treaded Dubro wheels not slicks.

I used to feel the same as Percy but having used ARTF trainers with steerable nosewheels to teach beginners how to fly with, for some time now, I've changed my mind. I've not yet managed to wreck one despite my famous landings and I like the way they steer on take off.

Were I to build a Gangster Lite, I'd go with the supplied nosewheel.

My take on steerable nosewheels -

Taxiing: full up elevator, goose throttle... nosewheel lifts off ground.

Takeoff: open the taps... rudder overpowers nosewheel after about 1/2 second.

Bear in mind, I'm on grass, so my model instantly slows down after the taxiing "maneuver" - tarmac might change my mind (a bit, maybe, I've flown fixed trikes on tarmac without much issue).

A Peter says, using a substantial z-bend to act as a shock absorber to protect the steering servo is probably key. Also investing in a tough, quality servo will help too, here for instance.

Student pilots, both of models and of full sized aircraft for that matter, have a tendency to relax the back pressure on the elevator once the aircraft they are flying touches down. The consequence is that their aircraft wheelbarrows down the runway as it decelerates, exerting undue stress on the poor old nose wheel (and servo). As my old flying instructor used to say, 'Nosewheels are for taxying, not for landing on' He also used to say, 'The landing hasn't finished until you have stopped' Good advice!

Weather to fit a nose wheel to a model aircraft or not, (let alone a steerable one), as the late great Derek Woodward used to say. ' Simplificate and add more lightness'. Or as they say in the sailing world, 'If its is not fitted it cannot break!' 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/10/2018 10:40:11