MFA High Sierra

The High Sierra was my first model back in 1987. I'm amazed that you found one in good condition after all this time! It flies okay, albeit rather prone to dutch roll at times. Be gentle with the landings otherwise, if landed too fast, it will usually end up on its back. Any rough landing can also result in loosening of the wing joiner bars and/or the tailplane pivot.

It served me well as a primary trainer and then as a standby floater at the slopes. Nowadays though an electric glider of some sort is a better option for those 'not quite enough lift' days - especially since the hills seem to get steeper and higher as the years go by!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, the one I have has just a little hanger rash and I replaced the servos as they looked a little tired, also the rudder had been enlarged at the trailing edge, any idea why this might be?

I also have a 1975 Graupner Cumulus, but I am not going to risk that without some experience.

Shaun

Good that you're going to slope the HS, as I recall it wasn't much cop as a flat-field soarer back in the day (mid 80s) and put many new flyers off after they'd been sold them by the local model shop despite us asking them to sell prospective flat field beginners something more suitable.

It's a long time ago, but I seem to recall that the way the wing spars were fitted into the foam wings was a bit odd and could be a problem if not carefully installed - worth checking alignment and strength, just in case.

The High Sierra was one of my first models as well. I only flew mine from a flat field with a power pod (Cox Tee Dee 049 power).

Yes it had shortcomings but I did a lot of flying with it before I finally pulled the joining tubes through the wings.

I think that an experienced flyer and builder won't have any problems and the advantage of having no instructions is that you can make changes based on your experience and preference.

I always thought the all flying stab mounting arrangement was a bit floppy for my liking as well as the method of holding the wing retaining tubes into the wing cores. Both methods were prone to wear over time and eventual failure.

Just one more personal preference: I'd have liked it with ailerons as well as rudder.

Posted by Trevor on 10/10/2018 12:09:25:

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 10/10/2018 09:03:17:

. ,. the rudder had been enlarged at the trailing edge, any idea why this might be?

Two possible reasons: maybe to increase the rudder response or to help damp down the dutch roll tendency.

Trevor

I did wonder if it was to do with Dutch Roll when you mentioned it Trevor.

Is Dutch roll a bit like a French stick but with Edam instead of Brie?smile p

• 4 years later...

I'd kill to find one of these in good condition. Second glider after an Avoncraft cub.

Flew it off the great Orme in Llandudno for several years in the early to mids. Flew really well in light wind and really came into its own in high wind. Definitely a ridge soarer. Didn't like to fly slow as others said.

Thermalling... Wings used to flex real hard on bungie/winch launches... Thermals had to be really strong to keep her up and moving fast.

Just picked mine up from my folks attic after 25 plus years grounded. She has so many scars... Snapped wing, fibreglass bandages, replacement wing spar blocks, new tail several times. All repaired by a 13yo desperate to fly! Eek!

Time to bring her back to life with a bit more delicate touch!