Windrider Scout Bee (somewhat modified)

KiwiKid

I have always been intrigued by the variety of flying wing and canard experimental aircraft ventures that were prevalent during and after WW2 in Britain. Some details of these are recorded in these two postings:

**LINK**

**LINK**

I am rather fond of "wing things" **LINK** and thought it would be fun to knock up a flying wing in the form of the experimental ventures.

I chose the EPP moulded Windrider Scout Bee as a base, so at least I knew the aerodynamics should work. The winglets were made from 2mm corflute sandwiched between two bits of balsa with the flutes and the grain at 90 degreees to each other. A Windrider pod and motor mount was used with a P-39 cockpit grafted on to the pod. Power is supplied by a 2200 3S battery. Covering is Solartex. The lower surface scheme was used on prototypes and experimental a/c to identify them to other pilots and to (hopefully) stop wartime gunners from taking pot shots at the strange shape in the sky.

The model has just been finished and is ready for the maiden. I usually try and get the maiden in before doing all the finishing work, but am pretty confident that the airframe will fly well, so she's RTF.

gal 60a.jpg

gal 60b.jpg

gal 60c.jpg

gal 60d.jpg

gal 60e.jpg

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys - sorry Stephen I forgot to tick the notification box regarding replies so didn't notice your post. I am just using some quite old standard JR servos. What I do is just have them set up on the DR switch with max throws available for rolls flicking back to lower throws (about 50%) for cruising around.

Have had a lot of fun recently sloping the Scout Bee, but have only been out on pretty grotty days. Recently scored a pearler and managed to shoot a bit of headcam vid.