please explain

nigel newby

Hi all, just getting back into modelling.

I thought that I would try a simulator.

I have FPS which uses a e sky 0905a 4 channel imitation radio control box. FPS is very limited I have found. Most of the time I cannot use a rudder as it does not work. I have down loaded Picasim, but cannot get that to respond to my controller.

I fancy Pheonix, but please what is a dongle, and what does it do.

I have seen stuff advertised, but I do not know if it has a dongle. I also have two 35mhz futaba controlers. One is a fp-t5n and the other is a t6exap. I believe that these can be used with a lead.. I have seen dongles advertised but how do they work. I am just trying to save muself money and disappointment.

Grumpy old git Nigel

Nigel, the Dongle electronically qualify's you as the purchaser, and that you can access the software

Phoenix is the business, and needs a cable with the dongle attached, to work

The sticks on a transmitter, and the switches, are all used by the software, as the Tx is not transmitting

So most Tx with a cable to fit will work

There is a list of Transmitters on Phoenix online

Edited By Denis Watkins on 15/10/2018 20:59:20

Hi Nigel,

You might find it very difficult to buy Pheonix. It was produced by a German company and distributed by Horizon. When Horizon sort of went AWOL Pheonix seems to have disapeared!

You can get second hand versions - and loads of copies (very much caveat emptor territory that) but a warrented new version from an established model shop or on line vendor, I think you might struggle.

BEB

Hi again Nigel

I use Phoenix - a really great sim'. I just dedicate one model in the Tx memory to it and it's all there including all the 'tweaks' I've made along the way. I needed a special lead for the PC : USB > Buddy box socket on the rear of the Tx casing..The model shop supplied all this and I think it was about £80 all in. The shop was on the south coast, near Poole, I think (lost the receipt years ago !).

Phoenix does seem to have gone a bit 'Heli' of late, but, there are still a lot of fixed wing models to choose from (100+ ?) . Also, it will tell you if there are any new models (or, it used to) when you log on.

The purchase option on their website points you to Horizon (UK still going ?) and there's a Support option too - email maybe...Not too many gliders but the ones they have (eg the Fox aerobatic) are quite good !

Worth persevering with I should have thought,

Dave

Clear view is for life once you subscribe, and does give you 10 minutes free flight without subscription.

Whatever your computer, you have to set up the tranny in games controller to accept all your stick movements

And calibrate each axis

The Transmitter is always SWITCHED OFF, the USB reads the sticks, but the tranny must be fully charged

Have the USB connected between computer and tranny before start up

After start up, get into peripheral set up and calibrate

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/10/2018 11:43:47

AS I said I can get nothing to work. I am using a e sky 0905a type transmitter. I have tried to set it up, but it does nit see it.Also I would expect it to show me flying sites and planes etc, but nothing. It has also downloaded two versions of clearview. Clr and Clr1. these appear on my desktop.

Shall I delete it and try again

Nigel

Posted by nigel newby on 16/10/2018 17:44:55:

Thanks, just tried it but the page for the software is not available.

Guess I will just have to stick with FMS

Nigel

Nigel, try again with everything OFF

The transmitter is never switched on.

With the computer off, plug in the USB and the jack into the transmitter

The transmitter will then come on.

Now start up the computer, and try again

Nigel, as well as Phoenix, I had a recent session with "Real Flight" at an exhibition near Bristol. It was also very impressive. Don't know about the cost, or, the available library of planes, but definitely worth a look...

Thinking back, my version of Phoenix (v2.0) was running under Windows Vista. I'm now on Win 10 so it may not work for me any more - I'll have to load it up and give it a test sometime !

Good hunting

Dave

ps the model shop I bought from in Poole was off a main road in one of those little industrial estates. It had a swinging sign at the roadside saying "xxxxmodels this way". Take your tranny with you just in case !

Hi all, and thanks for all the help. After a bit of a cuffle I managed to down load a new driver, and now clear view works.

I have had my ten minutes worth, so now will have to shell out for the rest of the programme. It seems ok and I am only after a bit of stick time while I am waiting for the weather to improve so that I can get a real model out there. I must get them all down from the loft and get a few photos of them. Some need identifying as I do not even know what they are. I guess I have about six or seven that are ready to fly with three or four more that just need finishing to get them airworthy. I have an electric glider that is munching at the bit to get in the air. All the rest are I/C models.

Once again thaks for the help.

Not so grumpy Nigel