Majestic Major (electric) build.

Advert

I had one many years ago.It had a Merco 61 in it, also a camera.

If you look at the wood sizes you should find that the cross sectional area in sq. 1/16ths will be about the same. i.e, 1/4" sq has 16 square 1/16ths so 1.5 times enlargement would result in 3/8 sq. which would be 36 sq. 1/16ths or over twice the cross sectional area while 5/16" sq would be 25 sq. 1/16s, about 1 1/2 times the cross sectional area which would seem about right.

Posted by David Mellor on 18/10/2018 10:41:01:

Hi Ray - your threads on the Majestic Major are one of the reasons I started this build!

Dave

Just checked, it was 16 years ago when I built mine, time flies faster than models now. wink

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 18/10/2018 11:12:30

1964 when I first saw one of these. It was over 10 years old then. It only came out on special occasions (hot sunny Sundays) with the owner & his wife carrying it assembled from their car to the flying field. Sadly both have passed now, but still in my memories. Salute to the late John Wood of ODMAC.

A standard size servo is about 1.5 oz.

A standard sort of pushrod, from 3/8 sq hard:

A stick of hard 3/8sq balsa is about 0.67 oz; two six inch lengths of M2 threaded rod are about 0.5oz total.

Whilst the pushrod weighs just over 1 oz, it's centre of mass is about halfway back to the tail from the CG, and the servo itself sits around the CG.

A servo of 1.5 oz at the back would require around 4.5oz of weight up front, total 6oz.

A pushrod of 1oz at halfway back requires around 1.5oz of weight up front, total 2.5oz, plus the servo on the CG, around 4oz total.

A closed loop setup is even more of a marked difference.

That's a bit "back of fag packet" but I've always tried to stick the servos up front if possible on the basis that the overall weight is less, whatever happens.

Apologies for going imperial on your metric log!

The doculam looks very light, and wood choice goes a huge distance, too. My Junior, built way back when, was from a kit, so the wood choice was made for me. IIRC I ended up at 4lbs including a rather heavy HP VT four stroke, and I still needed lead at the front. Solartex was not the lightest choice!

How do the sullivan red snakes stack up? I like and use them although I've never measured them, just going on feel they seem a light and easy solution for small(ish) models.

I thought it was the end fixings that mattered? Bike cables are only supported at the ends, really.

Either way it is easy to provide some support every few inches.

The only thing that annoys me about the Sullivan snakes is that you have to locate some 2-56 nuts, they don't include them in the packs (I know, metric version packs are available now, but for some reason they cost more).

I like the blues for heavier (5lb - 10lb) stuff, too.

Most of the sizes are available if you dig enough, I think, or I imagine the distributors could get them in special order.

They do 3 different sizes of stranded steel cables all with 2-56 adapters, these red flexible nylons in 2-56, the blue semi flexible nylons in 2-56 again, the black large size 4-40 semi flexible nylons, all of which are in packs of one of two different lengths, and, then most of that lot doubled up again in metric... Yet for some reason the 2-56 stuff is more common in shops here. In a country that has almost entirely gone metric when it comes to fixings. Which is a little bizarre.

Well, all UK imperial stuff is really only for legacy. Anything new is metric. I couldn't really call the UK imperial on those grounds.

Despite having said that, for some reason I can't get my head to convert to metric measurements for anything RC. As you might have noticed in my approximate servo calculations above! Inches and oz are just so handy.

Anyway, sorry, I'll stop derailing your thread now!

Edited By Nigel R on 22/10/2018 14:06:48