Topmodel CZ Challenger

I decided a couple of weeks ago that the Challenger was to be my re-introduction into RC flying. I did buy a TF Stinson Reliant kit back in August, but it is gradually pushing me out of house & home, so I've decided to sell it on.

Not wanting not having something  to continue my building, I've brought forward the purchase of the Challenger. I did try to buy it in the UK, but after unanswered emails & phone calls, I found one in stock in France. I had to pay 2% for using Paypal & additional carriage but at least it's something to look forward to. I'll do an in depth build on as I was doing on the Stinson, hopefully it will be shorter.

**LINK**

**LINK**

foto_3078.jpg

foto_2959.jpg

foto_2958.jpg

foto_2957.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 05/11/2018 13:30:49

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 05/11/2018 13:31:32

Woke early this morning wondering where the Challenger was. It was being sent from TopModels FR (France) & there had been a hiccup when I didn't receive an email acknowledgement as is usual in the UK. Eventually that was sorted & confirmed & it was being sent by Chronopost, part of the French postal service.

Knowing that drew my mind back to January 2002, when we were nursing the Moody 40 yacht we had bought in Corsica, from Camile Rayon in France to the Costa del Sol. We knew the engine was clapped & we were doing daily bursts from one port to the next making for Toulon where we were going to have a new engine fitted.

We'd arrived at Hyres, just beating a gale. & were tied up snug in the marina having our evening meal, when I heard dripping. I checked the Thornycroft 4 cylinder diesel engine & found the water pump bearings had collapsed. I looked for a French Thornycroft agent, found a Brit living in Brittany France, yes he had a pump, so I paid for it & he said he would send it by Chronopost to the marina office the next day. The day after I checked with the office & it was there.

auto email.jpg

chronopost email.jpg

Back to today, I checked C/post's tracker Tuesday & it was non committal, only that they had received the order from TopModel FR, so I set an auto notification to receive further tracking info automatically.

This morning there was an email from them in French, with an English translation. I've never been called Che're, by any of the UK couriers I've used so it raised a smile when C/Post did. I checked the link they sent & the parcel had arrived in Liverpool earlier this morning, that's what I call service.

tracking info..jpg

Update 12noon, DPD rang my bell with the parcel from France, what a good service from TopModel F.R, Chronopost & DPD. Lunched then opened the parcel. I was concerned it had a large yellow label saying I must unpack it in the presence of the driver & check for damage or they wouldn't accept any responsibility, don't think mss Barnier knows that rule.

I was anxious to see if the correct colour had been sent, as there are 6 alternatives, when I bought it online TM F.R only had one in stock & the picture showed a red & white scheme which I wanted. I took off the first layer of corrugated cardboard & brown paper, (very environmentally friendly) to reveal the kit box. Cut the nylon straps, peeld back the bubble wrap, & yes, it is red & white. Re=packed it until the Stinson is sold.

c1..jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

In between glue setting periods on the Stinson, I've been reading the build instructions on the Challenger. There is a glue mentioned Chemopren (dry bond adhesive). I'm assuming this is similar to EvoStik impact? Has anyone who has built a Topmodel CZ kit come across this? See picture.

chemopren.jpg

Just collected my Hitec Flash 8 combo & 6 Hitec HS82MG servos for the Challenger. TMCZ suggest the AXI 2829/12 V2 Long motor. So I'm looking for suitable Lipo/s 3s 3000Mah, an ESC etc. Just seen these on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AWANFI-Battery-3000mAh-Helicopter-Airplane/dp/B07H79R6S6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542125152&sr=8-4&keywords=3s+lipo+battery+3000mah

Anyone used them?

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 13/11/2018 16:25:37

Posted by Ikura on 13/11/2018 22:27:44:

Yes it will take 4S but why would you do that on a 2m sailplane?

If you try that motor on a 3S 2200 you will be impressed with the climb rate on the Glider Drive motor.

Hi again Ikura.

I'm not try to teach grandnma to suck eggs, & it's 11 years since I dabbled in electric power. But, in my mind if the motor manufacturer says it needs a 3 to 4s lipo & your original suggestion was a 3S 2200 Mah lipo. My 50 years an engineers brain thinks that ain't correct & maybe the motor will overheat dragging a 12 x 6 prop the Challenger manufacturer recommends. I know they are both in the Czech Republic & that is maybe why they suggest the AXI, helping their countrymen. You may say there's no fool like an old fool, but in this instance I think I'll go with what Topmodel CZ suggest. Thanks for the interest.

Regards Eric.

May I chime in here?

Eric, Ikura is correct regarding the power train for the challenger. The motor he suggested, a 12x6 prop, a 40A esc, along with a 3S 2200mah lipo would be ideal for the Challenger. A 4S battery would be overkill on such a model unless you're looking for warmliner/hotliner performance; the Challenger is not that kind of model.

Steve.

Posted by Steve Colman on 14/11/2018 07:59:15:

May I chime in here?

Eric, Ikura is correct regarding the power train for the challenger. The motor he suggested, a 12x6 prop, a 40A esc, along with a 3S 2200mah lipo would be ideal for the Challenger. A 4S battery would be overkill on such a model unless you're looking for warmliner/hotliner performance; the Challenger is not that kind of model.

Steve.

Hi Steve

If you check my earlier posts, I said a 3s 3000ma lipo, not a 4 s, the 4s comes from the spec of the motor Ikura suggested. The club I will be joining has a limit of a 3s lipo. I assume the 3000MAH will give more air time than the 2200MAH?

Regards Eric

eric,you'll only need the motor to get to some height,after that the model will glide to your hearts content.if money is no object...buy whatever you want,but as has been suggested you'll be wasting it putting in a top notch motor and 4s batterys...the turnigy motors and 3s batts will be more than enough for the model...

ken anderson...ne..1..wasted money dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 14/11/2018 08:17:49:

eric,you'll only need the motor to get to some height,after that the model will glide to your hearts content.if money is no object...buy whatever you want,but as has been suggested you'll be wasting it putting in a top notch motor and 4s batterys...the turnigy motors and 3s batts will be more than enough for the model...

ken anderson...ne..1..wasted money dept.

Ken See my previous post.

Eric.

Eric re battery choice, if you go for a 4s battery you will have to put a smaller prop on the motor to stop it from pulling too many amps, because the motor speed is directly proportional to the supply volts and power is proportional to rpm squared (with the same prop). Check out some of the online power calculators like drivecalc.de

As regards battery size then yes a 3000 mah battery will give you a longer motor run time, but the glider will be heavier so take longer to get to height and will have to fly faster and possibly have a faster sink rate. If it balances without needing any additional nose weight then a 2200 mah battery would be a better choice, but if you have to add weight then you might as well go to a bigger battery.

My 2.3m built up thermal soarer is powered by a 1300 mah 3s battery and my 2.4m wingspan MPX Heron a 2200 mah 3s.

BTW if you are unsure of motor choice etc then it might be worth having a chat with 4max as they will help you match a system to your airframe.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 14/11/2018 09:08:36:

Eric re battery choice, if you go for a 4s battery you will have to put a smaller prop on the motor to stop it from pulling too many amps, because the motor speed is directly proportional to the supply volts and power is proportional to rpm squared (with the same prop). Check out some of the online power calculators like drivecalc.de

As regards battery size then yes a 3000 mah battery will give you a longer motor run time, but the glider will be heavier so take longer to get to height and will have to fly faster and possibly have a faster sink rate. If it balances without needing any additional nose weight then a 2200 mah battery would be a better choice, but if you have to add weight then you might as well go to a bigger battery.

My 2.3m built up thermal soarer is powered by a 1300 mah 3s battery and my 2.4m wingspan MPX Heron a 2200 mah 3s.

BTW if you are unsure of motor choice etc then it might be worth having a chat with 4max as they will help you match a system to your airframe.

Hi Frank

AXI is one of the motors the glider manufacturer suggests, I've used one 11 years ago in a Reichard Sprinter, so I'm happy with AXI. As I've said previously, I didn't suggest 4S Lipo, it's in the spec of the motor suggested by another poster, & as I've said previously the club I will be joining next year has a limit of 3S.

Regards Eric

PS, I've just been in touch with Electric Wingman & been quoted by them.

95% of my involvement in the hobby was in I/C powered models. 3% was on slope soaring & only when it was too windy to fly power. The remaining 2 % was electric power. My last being an I/C ARTF aerobatic model converted to electric & a Reichard Sprinter, both using AXI motors. I don't want to go along the Sprinter route as that was a bit of a handful, so that is why 11 years later & coming back to a hobby that's changed dramatically, I selected the Challenger, mainly because it also has flaps & a reasonable size. I'm not the sort of flyer who is content with motoring to a great height, then switching the motor off & soaring around my area of vision, then landing. Not all power models whizz around the sky like an angry bee, look at the current trend in vintage powered floaters like Black Magic & the like. I'm hoping my selections will be the best of both worlds. You may be aware I was part way through building the 100" Top Flite Stinson Reliant which was going to be electric powered, but unfortunately ran out of building space, so I decided to sell it on & get something more home & wife friendly. So that's me in a nutshell. wink