Spektrum DX6i.

David Davis

Introduction.

In 2015, I sold up and retired to rural France. Being well-wedged I treated myself to a DX9 transmitter but held on to my DX6i in order to use it as a buddy box. I fly Mode 2 and I do a fair bit of instructing. Because most Frenchmen are Mode 1, I have custody of an old Mode 1 DX5 transmitter which I use as a slave when trying to teach Frenchmen. However, I have recently acquired another ex-pat Englishman who wants to learn Mode 2 so the DX6i came in useful for that. He has just bought a Mode 2 DX5 and a Mode 2 DX6i on eBay and we have been using his DX6i as a slave while he learns to fly a Multiplex Easy Glider.

Current Situation.

When I last tried to use my DX6i, the roller failed. It appears that the lower bearing has failed and as a result roller adopts a diagonal stance and refuses to budge. This morning I took the back off the transmitter and removed the circuit board behind the roller. I could not find out what was wrong but I could not get the roller to sit properly. I also noticed that the "boss"(?) into which the lower left retaining screw is inserted, the one closest to the roller, had broken off from the front casing. Perhaps this is the cause of the problem.

Options as I see them.

1. To send the transmitter to the main European agent in Barsbuttel, Germany for repair, but when my DX9 needed repair it took them ages to get round to doing anything and eventually they sent it to the USA where it was repaired within two days.
  2. To send it to a British or French expert to repair.
  3. To buy a used DX5 or DX6i on eBay.
  4. To offer my trainee some money for his DX5!
  5. To buy a new DXE.

Of course, I could always forget about training a Mode 2 student until he has his own Spektrum transmitter! wink

What is the collective advice of the cognoscenti?

Edited By David Davis on 16/11/2018 14:38:05

Advert

Don't send it anywhere David, it is an easy fix

The bit missing is a 1mm plastic rod that breaks, unimaginable that it is so small a diameter

Either drill through your roller for a 1mm steel pin fix

Or get an Aluminium thumbwheel replacement from eBay

While you are waiting, you can still use the changeover switch from the outside with a cocktail stick

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/11/2018 16:10:21

If you use good old Google search, DX6 roller wheel replacement you will come up with more alternatives as this problem is well known. They range from replacing the little micro switch to fitting an alternative switch altogether. There are also some 2nd hand replacement circuit boards available on E bay. While you have the back off it is well worth replacing the rocker switches with the metal ones if you can get them. If not if you know somebody with a 3d printer you can print them in a much more solid form so they do not break. I have done these in different colours also the aerial cover on my DX9.

Glenn

Posted by David Davis on 17/11/2018 05:33:21:

I have seen these on an American website and am thinking of ordering a couple. **LINK** One for the DX6i and the other for the DX9, but does anybody know if there is a European supplier?

Edited By David Davis on 17/11/2018 05:33:49

In recent years David, these thumb wheels were easily obtained, but you have highlighted that they are no longer prolific, and this is true in the UK too.

Do get two, and for info in the UK, I have found the USA my nearest supplier.

Your interest now may shake up some people holding stock to make themselves known