Arduino project - Servo Exerciser - RCM&E Dec 2018

In case anyone was wondering "what's the point" (It's a very good question), here's a video of what the servo exerciser electronics project in the Dec mag does.

I find it most useful for checking the centring of servos, or even control surfaces. For anyone extremely picky you can just detect a centring difference in the video, depending on which direction the servo is coming from.

Hey no probs Chris smiley , they are very handy especially with cheap servos. Shortly after the video I added an end-to-end sweep with increasing speed, faster & faster until the servo cant keep up. The idea is that with alternate and equal left and right commands, even if the servo cant keep up, it should stay central. Some wander off neutral, indicating a speed imbalance between the two directions.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 24/11/2018 13:16:19

Hi Phil.
Sorry for slow reply, a bad back is suddenly taking most of my concentration.

No I hadn't seen that. I won't pretend to understand anything of how it works but it does look extremely useful to just cut, paste and use.
I assume we'd just make OFR1B = whatever we want the servo to do? (x2).

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 27/11/2018 10:25:46

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

Just read the article and was wondering why you decided to power the servos through the RAW pin.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use Vcc? The Arduino can take up to 12V as input, I don’t think all servos would like that.

Looking forward to see what else we can do with the arduino.

The regulator on an Arduino Pro Mini can supply up to a total of 150mA. A servo will very likely consume several times that amount when operating.

In addition, the regulator has a maximum power dissipation of 450mW at an ambient temperature of 25 degrees C. If you put 12V on the raw input, then, for a 5V Arduino, the regulator will have 7 volts across it. With about 64mA flowing, you will reach the 450mW dissipation limit.

Mike

I was talking to Motion RC the other day about servo testing. They strongly recommended that all the servos on their models be cycled for at least six minutes, to establish if they get hot. I had one on my Freewing Hawk that was warm to the touch, which they replaced without question. I think this procedure is a "must" these days, when models come with servos of unknown quality etc. I certainly have adopted it as "standard" procedure. Potentially could save a model at the very least!.

Posted by Alfred Vink on 29/01/2019 17:32:50:

Hi Chris,

Just read the article and was wondering why you decided to power the servos through the RAW pin.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use Vcc? The Arduino can take up to 12V as input, I don’t think all servos would like that.

Looking forward to see what else we can do with the arduino.

Alfred, Mike's answer explains why nice and clearly. Thanks Mike.

The servo is therefore powered directly by the battery while the voltage regulator on the Arduino drops the voltage to 3.3v for the processor .

One thing to note is that this means that the servo can have a supply voltage anywhere up to its limit, while the position pulses coming from the tester will always be only 3.3v. This can be an issue for some servos but is representative of exactly what happens with most receivers.

Supertigrefan there's nothing on line, unless you're a subscriber and can look at Decembers RCM&E.

If it's your first electronics project then you probably need the whole article but if you're determined enough then I'm sure we can help here.

The required items are:

• Arduino Pro-Mini 3.3V 8Mhz £3.11 (bitsbox.co.uk M071)
  • USB – FTDI Program uploader £3.18 (bitsbox.co.uk M070)
  • USB cable – Mini USB.
  • 3 Servo sockets on leads. (Make your own or cut them off servo extensions/ Y leads)
  • The Adruino sketch – Downloadable using **LINK**
  • PC With Arduino IDE software – Free download **LINK**

In essence you'd need to follow these steps:-

1. install the Arduino IDE software on a PC.
  2. Use the IDE software to open the sketch (program).
  3. Set the software up to suit the type of arduino you're programming and the right PC com port etc.
  4. Connect everything up, with the programmer set to 3.3v
  5. Upload the sketch from the PC to the Arduino board.

Here's some pictures to help illustrate.

Wiring diagram:-

exerciser.jpg

Finished project :-

completed servo exerciser.jpg

Uploading from PC to Arduino:-

programming the nano pro (2).jpg

A couple of different programmers:-

2 different ftdi boards.jpg

A couple of different Arduino Pro Minis

2 different arduino nano pros (1).jpg

Just looked at the Arduino - these things are really simple aren't they? Country mile ahead of previous gen PIC hardware for cost and usability.

Maybe a follow on project to do a servo slow / servo reverser / door sequencer? As you've covered servo output (well, two actually - centre, plus exerciser), adding an RX input would be a nice step.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 31/01/2019 14:47:27:

Any idea Chris, when the follow up telemetry article will be hitting the magazine?

Hi Kev

The intention was for it to be a two parter in consecutive issues but publishing constraints meant that wasn't possible. (Not that I understand these thigs).

Graham is trying to squeeze it into the March issue but it's more likely to be in the April one.

That one is more a "this is what I've been doing" piece rather than a straight construction article. There are many ways to build it and many telemetry parameters for folk to choose from.

I'm sure you'll have fun having a go and we can expand on it in a thread here. I know I have a lot to learn about these things.

Posted by Nigel R on 31/01/2019 15:29:50:

Just looked at the Arduino - these things are really simple aren't they? Country mile ahead of previous gen PIC hardware for cost and usability.

Maybe a follow on project to do a servo slow / servo reverser / door sequencer? As you've covered servo output (well, two actually - centre, plus exerciser), adding an RX input would be a nice step.

Nigel those are some nice ideas.

I'm not sure I have time to look into them, but there are folk here who are far more knowledgeable than me.

I'd be as pleased as punch if someone else put their hand up to write (or help me with) a follow up.

Or just as helpful, simply post some "how to" ideas here?

I've got most of the "building blocks", so I'll see if I can knock something together.

For things like a servo reverser, I usually use all my own code, no Arduino library code, so there are no "surprises" caused by code I don't know, for certain, what it is doing!
The downside is the code may be less clear what it is doing.

Mike