pop bottle cowls

Advert

I have found that the trick is to make your mould over size so that it is a tight squeeze into your chosen bottle, this way you dont have to shrink it to its extreme.

img_2709.jpg

Painted on the inside it doesnt look to bad.

img_2726.jpg

Here is a video I made many years ago on making a canopy from a pop bottle for a free plan I designed over on the other forum.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 16/12/2018 15:46:22

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by oldgit on 06/01/2019 14:32:07:

so ive made the balsa mould and everything goes ok until i try to remove the mould from the shrunk plastic, any tips

You need the plastic hot yes, but too hot and there is more shrinkage that tightens the form

Also, a very smooth mould, varnish, dry, rub down, and again

Harder timber is better than balsa, as balsa does compress more easily, and allows that tight grip

But harden the balsa with the varnish as a minimum

Hardwood formers are waxed and polished

Edited By Denis Watkins on 06/01/2019 16:08:51

If you watch the video I explain how I cut mine, I add strips of wood each side when making the former larger than needed before finishing it. This creates a gap to cut through and can be added to the rear and bottom, it can get quite thick around the neck of the bottle but a hacksaw blade goes through this with ease.

I've only ever had to varnish a former when I had some pulled on a vacuum former, balsa has always been fine for one offs.

Rich