Third Time Lucky Or The Bad Penny.

Richard. W.

Yes, this will be my third introduction but the last time I logged on was almost 9 years ago.embarrassed

The intervening years have been spent building static display models but that constant itch to be flying has never really gone away.. That said, the flying part is still secondary to building for me. My interest will always be "scale" and if I can get them to fly, it's a bonus.

Being "Old School" I only tend to build from plans (either bought or drawn up myself).....I'm not knocking RTF or ARTF (I still have a Piper Cub in the loft from 10 years ago) but coming from a time of balsa, dope and tissue when I first took up the hobby as a kid, they just don't do it for me.

Still unchanged is my main period of interest...Pioneer and Golden Era aviation....Fixed undercarriage wood & wire types. That's not exclusive but certainly predominates.

What has changed (or will change) for me though is a switch to electric power from I/C. Partly for health reasons, partly due to environmental restrictions, partly because of the mess but also because of the recent advances in the technology. This change will be a very steep learning curve for me. I'm not frightened by the electronics, I just don't understand it all yet. With I/C I can figure out a viable engine and propeller selection for a given model quite easily but not so with electric......Be prepared for some really silly questions to come!face 22

Advert

Hi Richard.

I know just what you mean. Like you I can look at a model and know exacty what power to use or, in my case design a model to exactly suit a specific size of engine

When it comes to electric power I am only just getting in to it and I must admit that I don't try to work it out. There are too many variables.

I just phone George at 4-Max and say "This is the specification of the model What do I need?" and the answer comes back and it works.

That's one I shall have to remember, Peter.thumbs up

At the moment I'm still researching it all..... Physical size, weight, battery weights, prop sizes....All of it.crook .........From a very basic understanding, pretty much anything is possible and hiding the motor much easier, which opens the door to some interesting possibilities which I'd always discounted with I/C just because I don't like to see half the engine and exhaust poking through the cowling.nerd

Posted by supertigrefan on 20/12/2018 14:40:18:

Welcome back to RC Richard.

Having seen the detail in some static models your experience should be an advantage, The last static model I built was many years ago. Like you I love the building and the replication but it always nagged me that once you've produced the masterpiece then that was it, nothing more to do, control line and RC added the final 'point' to it, something beautifully and passionately built that actually flies!

I look forward to your builds.

Edited By supertigrefan on 20/12/2018 14:40:54

Your summation of static models mirrors my thoughts exactly.. I do enjoy making them but once they're done, that's it.

Years ago I was all Free Flight. Back in the 70's RC was way beyond my budget and control line didn't agree with me.... I did build the old KK Ranger but a friend's father had to fly it.. I can't turn in circles without being violently sick!.... Couldn't do it as a kid and still can't today....I've been thrown around the sky in different aircraft when I was in the RAF (on jollies, I wasn't flight crew) without feeling ill at all but just two or three turns on the spot and I collapse and throw up!

I used to love the challenge of Free Flight. Putting on as much detail as possible whilst trying to keep the weight down and I'd refuse to enlarge the tail area or add dihedral to aid stability (which was accepted practice).....These days, if you fired up a Mills .75 at the local park you'd be arrested I imagine. dont know

Most of us work on a simple rule of thumb - 100 watts per pound weight for modest aerobatics, and 50 watts per pound for vintage models etc.

Or if it works in a similar model it will work for me too.

Recent articles in RCME covered this aspect.