Reworking Ultimate

Bobby

dscf6164.jpgdscf6168.jpgDecided as my Pup thread ended up on a happy note for me and with a rush of excrement to my brain, here is my latest go at turning a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Stage 1 with the foreboding words in my ear (from Angela) at 82yrs old should you be climbing a ladder up into the loft, I retrieved the Ultimate without falling down from said loft, started to strip the old girl down for my big effort in making it lighter and hopefully fly to my liking dscf6678.jpg

Advert

dscf6708.jpgdscf6709.jpgdscf6742.jpgHi, Sonny, Cheers for the input. (tidy? are you suggesting maybe better left as was ? wink)

Braddock, thanks for your input. Hope your A&E issue is completely over now. Done a few of these with Angela (wife) but she is now all under control medication wise, tis wonderful what they can do now !!,.

E. Doc Well I am about to write with some pics to show all is not that easy weight wise, thanks for the interest.

After finishing the complete film removal it became apparent that saving weight was going to be difficult, so I am going for a small weight saving but also an aerodynamic improvement, ( We shall see later, as Baldrick said " I have a cunning PLAN). So Far dscf6735.jpg Sorry about the unclear Pic and also the order. but I am slowly getting the grip of it.laugh

Hi Sonny, Just Joshing you that's, why I put the Wink face, the finish my friend was done by some young person in Vietnam as the model is an ARTF and is also the reason why I could not fully see the problem regarding making the model lighter.laugh

Trebor, I did get two of them in case I spoilt one, not so sure in this PC world (now) that my Humour is appreciated I have always loved the Female form and when I die I will ask my maker if I can return as a Women then maybe my humour would go another way.!!!. If you want the spare just say will bring it next time we meet at the site. Bobheart

dscf6740.jpgdscf6743.jpgA little progress Re making the model lighter, it seems a bit of wishful thinking on my part, because as you can see from the pics the model is already almost there as standard, the trouble being the T/E,L/E of fin rud, ele, t/p are in pine and the rest is in hard balsa, but as the saying goes many a mickle makes a muckle I will press on. Please read Woman not Womendscf6744.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 05/01/2019 14:52:44

surprisedscf6747.jpgdscf6748.jpgdscf6749.jpgGood progress Re tail end used foam from Yet Another Build Pt11 build board, shapes very well to act as an infill , then glued 1/32 soft balsa with aliphatic when dry cut 1/16 soft balsa sides made very wet and then used elastic bands to hold in place while it formed to shape, later using aliphatic again to glue in place with final trimming, then finally being glued in place on the tail end spot shown " hopefully light weight and strong !!.dscf6757.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 08/01/2019 14:00:32

• 3 weeks later...

dscf6684.jpgdscf6690.jpgdscf6712.jpgdscf6734.jpgI have just been slowly going on with the task as saving weight is not going to be a success , I have now gone with the baldrick plan, add weight by improving the aerofoil section thereby hopefully improving the flying characteristics, when looking at the L/E of the ailerons I found they were all 1/16" top and bottom under the T/E of the wing this required the many lightening holes adding 1/16" soft balsa sht top/bottom then sanding to a new taper leaving the forward part untouched the trailing edge looks a little thicker than I like !!. The wings were already skeletal and with film had the starved horse look which I thought looked dreadful, 5shts of soft balsa later, now have a new aerofoil shape and the wings now resist any attempts to twist them. the ratio has gone from 5.73 to 6.37, l/e is now more roundish compared to the original sharp shape. Upper wing gone from 85grams to 95grams each, not so much I am thinking!!angeldscf6731.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 29/01/2019 12:43:41

• 3 weeks later...

dscf6755.jpgdscf6756.jpgdscf6783.jpgProgress still goes on, glad I said a pigs ear (boar) and not a gilt or sows as that would not be possible with this venture. I have now started to cover and how I wish solar film was still going, my first real attempt at pro film ( very old was only £8-99 when purchased) just trying a small part at that time convinced me the material was not for me, but all I have left is some solar fluorescent and that pro stuff and do not wish to purchase any more film as this is my last venture so onwards and upwards, I have also just for the hell of it tried an iron sock for the first time again cannot get the hang of it or see the need (just me I guess). Cowling to rub down and then paint in a virgin white! I think pro film reminds me of sticky back plastic like the sort seagull used in their early days (dreadful gear) winkdscf6784.jpg

You know what they say, quality is always better than quantity yes Mike and myself went up last Thursday, slight southerly but not strong enough to be a problem. Grass was wet and bumpy with Daisy's popping up.

ps how's bob 3 doing 

Edited By trebor on 20/02/2019 17:33:53

• 1 month later...

dscf6798.jpgdscf6797.jpgHi Rich too, Just got back to this thread of mine, thanks for the kind words have made myself carry on with the project after thinking Why?frown as I am lacking enthusiasm and then why not I guess !!, so the saga of covering is making progress still think this pro film is not for me. Saving some weight by reshaping the outer struts as the wings now are so strong I think I could do away with them but then again!!. Must learn how to put these pics in correct order. blush dscf6795.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dscf6803.jpgMust have a break from covering, changed the servo mounting method to inside the wing rather than the dreadful method that looks like a barnacle hanging underneath the wing of the original way. My this is a hard slog ! why did I ever start !? ( cheers Derek for the kind words xx) laugh

Posted by Bobby on 19/02/2019 15:37:26:

I have now started to cover and how I wish solar film was still going, my first real attempt at pro film ( very old was only £8-99 when purchased) just trying a small part at that time convinced me the material was not for me

Interesting! My first encounters with Solarfilm in the 70s left me with a deep hatred of plastic film covering and it was only when I returned to model building around the turn of the century that I discovered Profilm. What a revelation - a covering that doesn't reward a moment's inattention with a hole, mouldable around extreme curves and repositionable if adjustments are needed.

I am sad to see the demise of many of the Solarfilm products such as Solartex, Solartrim, Prymol etc. but I won't shed even the tiniest tear of regret for the disappearance of Solarfilm covering.

Just thank your lucky stars that your Vietnamese friends didn't use Solarfilm - getting it off an airframe after the film parts company with the adhesive is a soul destroying job.

• 4 weeks later...

angry 2winkdscf6806.jpgdscf6807.jpgdscf6808.jpgJust dragged myself back having been busy selling my old much loved Focus Flight and then getting used to my Kia Ceed replacement. Well rather than finish covering set about finishing the lower ailerons by making and fitting hard points for the control horns, then covering them. For my next phase decided to do something with the cabane parts radiused the ends and am now trying to polish with a mirror type finish. With all of this chatter about the death of model flying am I wasting my time I ASK !!!???dscf6811.jpg

dscf6813.jpgdscf6814.jpgAt last the main covering is complete, have to treat with tipp-ex all minor areas where some balsa shows and epoxy over them. Wing Tips to decide covering wise, blkhd plus r/x battery box to clean up paint and another light coat of epoxysmiley dscf6815.jpgModel Bipe 11 on cycle for Monday so no progress to be done for a while laugh