World Models Pilatus Porter P6

Stearman65

Posted by PatMc on 11/01/2019 17:36:37:
Posted by Stearman65 on 11/01/2019 13:53:33:

Well I'll be blowed, sounds like HK sent them correctly. Which then means the other UK retailer could send them via PF or RM, hopefully, he'll read this & change his conditions as it appears he's losing out on business.

Does he deserve to remain in business if he can't get the fundamentals of it right ?

That's not for me to say, I've dealt with him before & had good service.

Advert

Another lie in this morning, so not much done.

Added one of the L/E sheet strips last night & another this morning. The bendy drinking straws that I had ordered to use simulating the U/C shock absorber covers arrived. Added another sheet to the underside of the wing & the strut retention bracket. I didn't fancy the method of retaining the wing on the tubes by a screw through the top sheet into the tube, so decided to use my own method. This involves two bolts through the root ribs & fuselage side with a wing nut onto the bolt via the cabin. Further pictures when I reach that stage. Finally, added the support for the servo cover. pictures below.

p51.jpg

p52.jpg

p53.jpg

p54.jpg

p55.jpg

p56.jpg.

p58.jpg

p59.jpg

Re lipo postage: backinblack shows what I have seen when looking, no lipo allowed - for individuals via the post office. However patmc gives 'account customer' rules which say yes. So whether you can send lipo depends whether you send enough for an account, which is probably enough for direct collection from the sender.

Posted by Dad_flyer on 11/01/2019 19:20:11:
Re lipo postage: backinblack shows what I have seen when looking, no lipo allowed - for individuals via the post office. However patmc gives 'account customer' rules which say yes. So whether you can send lipo depends whether you send enough for an account, which is probably enough for direct collection from the sender.

IMO this means customers with an account?indecision

Posted by Stearman65 on 12/01/2019 07:14:51:

IMO this means customers with an account?indecision

Obviously this means any retailer selling lipo by mail/on line must have an account with RM/PF or use another postal/courier service. It's a business decision the retailer must make as to which method is considered the most economical, reliable, convenient & (the retailer's) customer friendly.

I can only think that the differentiation between private and account customers is only to identify a bona fide sender.

Back to the Pilatus, added some more sheet the to top & bottom of the right wing, managed to slip off pushing in a T pin & knocked a chunk out of the underside sheet, repaired it when it had dried.. After lunch & a trip to B&Q, did some preliminary sanding, sorted the parts for the aileron, after an hours scratching my head & finding the hinges, I got it dry assembled, then glued it together. Really like this kit, now passed the point where I kicked the Stinson into touch by assembling the aileron.smiley Still have to fit the end ribs when the rest is dry.

BTW the 3 bladed spinner I'd ordered arrived, very impressive & not a lot unlike the one supplied with the kit. Tried the adapter on the new motor & that is the same thread, may have to shorten the motor adapter, won't know until the 3 blade prop arrives from Al's Hobbies. That's it for now. The Greatest Dancer & the Voice to watch tonight.frownfrownfrown

p60.jpg

p61.jpg

p62_edited-1.jpg

p63.jpg

p64_edited-1.jpg

p65.jpg

Hi Martian

It would mean cutting the tabs off the ribs & adding extra sheet with joints that would probably show. I checked the larger version WM do & that has almost fully sheeted wing, but the kit is OOS, which probably means it won't be available in the future. I did add my email to the notify me when back in stock box, but that was just wishful thinking unless I come up on the Premium Bonds.wink

**LINK**

Edited By Stearman65 on 12/01/2019 18:15:36

Following a reasonable nights sleep, I removed the plan from the board, reversed & taped it to the lounge window & drew on the leading & trailing edges & the ribs.

After pinning it down & covering with florists film, I pinned down the main spar with the bottom main spar ready glued on. Then glued on the tip & root ribs, & dry fitted the rest of the ribs. Glued on the top main spar & ribs, the aileron opening leading edge & the rear sheet strip. then finally the leading edge. To finish I dry fitted the fiberglass tubes.

p66.jpg

p65.jpg

p66.jpg

p67_edited-1.jpg

p68.jpg

p69.jpg

p70.jpg

p71.jpg

p72.jpg

p73.jpg

Postman delivered my order for snap on ball links & pinned hinges. Tried them, both very stiff, may go elsewhere. The hinges are for the flaps, may try the small Kavan, was happy with the large ones I bought for the Stinson. The ball links are a deviation from the plan to attach the wing struts quickly, which I don't think are functional.

Added the remaining piece of sheet to the underside of the wing & the servo cut out. Added the trailing edge strip & built up the aileron, finally fitted the aileron horn mounting block. May leave cutting out the proposed flaps until I've got some hinges I'm happy with.

Maybe tailplane & fin tomorrow.

p93.jpg

p94.jpg

p95.jpg

p96.jpg

p97.jpg

p98.jpg

Didn't get much done yesterday with one thing & another. The prop & wheels ordered from Al's finally arrived, it is supposed to be ready balanced, however the edges are like razors, so that will have to be attended to then re-balanced. Tried it on the replacement spinner, & it looks the business. Lastly added the 2 end plates to the left aileron. Haven't ordered the flap hinges yet, so won't be creating them until they do. Finally, ordered the Krick Klemm 25L kit from Leeds model shop, supposed to be arriving today. Maybe more later.

p99.jpg

p100.jpg

p101.jpg

p102.jpg

Set aside the wings & ailerons, cleared the board & pinned down the tailplane elevator fin & rudder plans & covered with florists film. Didn't really need them, it's so easy to assemble the parts. Took longer to do taht & unpack the parts than to glue them together. Just the tailplane end plates to fit when the glue dries.

p103.jpg

p104.jpg

p105.jpg

Didn't get much done yesterday, had friends round for dinner so had to help. I did get a bit done though, cleared the tail off the board, unpacked & separated the the ply & balsa parts from the sheets, must get a chisel blade for the knife next time I do this. Finally after re-reading the comic, realised the numbering of the parts was not sequential with the build sequence, wrote all the numbers down in the order they were needed then called it a draw.

This morning, I segregated the parts into sequential piles to make things easier, then made a start assembling the fuselage. Certainly isn't as simple as it looks on the Youtube videos, then again I like a challenge. Used a combination of cyano & aliphatic glue. Found one of the struts pre glued to the fuselage side, short & wouldn't engage with the cut out of the former. Using aliphatic makes things more difficult as you have to pre glue most components, however, I'm happier that way. I'm making dinner tonight so that's it for today. Incidentally, the Ka8B sold on Ebay, but I'm having problems with the buyer, more later.

p107.jpg

p108.jpg

p109.jpg

p110.jpg

p112_edited-1.jpg

p113.jpg

p114.jpg

p115.jpg

p116.jpg

p117.jpg

p118.jpg

p119.jpg

p120.jpg

p121.jpg

p122.jpg

Edited By Stearman65 on 20/01/2019 15:47:00

Hospital appointment cut today's build short today. My intention to use aliphaiic glue where possible was thwarted by the egg crate constrution method, so the best way to proceed was to use super glue where necessary & aliphatic as a back up where possible. I had to use all the spring clamps I have together with the ratchet clamps. I must say the spring clamps I bought from Ebay are totally rubbish, the clip in jaws fly off at the slightest provocation. Anyone know a supplier of decent items?

p124.jpg

p125.jpg

p126.jpg

p127_edited-1.jpg

Edited By Stearman65 on 21/01/2019 18:09:02

I gave up on cheap clamps, as you have found they fly apart. I now use those from Wilkinson hardware stores, they come in 3 sizes and work well.

Old fashioned "Bulldog" and spring type paper clips are also very useful, almost too many sizes to choose from.

Ian

Edited By BackinBlack on 21/01/2019 18:33:03

Before going to bed last night, I took the clamps off the glued section & tried F1 the motor bulkhead for fit, disaster, I should have continued with the sequence which was F2 & 15. The extra distance I had to bend the sides to trial fit F1 caused the left side to crack. (see pictures). Went to bed troubled.

This morning after a quick assessment, I attempted to glue in F2 which is a thin ply former to hold the battery tray. After coating in aliphatic & using a combination of spring & sliding clamps, I managed to get it somewhere near correct. However on checking the underside, it hadn't locked into place. Panic panic. I dug out the two tool boxes where my little used tools are kept & found 2 x 4 inch G clamps. What would have done the trick better would have been an 8inch G clamp, but couldn't find one. I fitted the G clamps which bent F2, so I added some scrap 1/8th ply on edge & spring clamps to take out the bend while the glue dries. That has put paid to any more work today. BTW it's just started snowing.

p128.jpg

p129.jpg

p130.jpg

p131.jpg

p132.jpg

Took the clamps off this morning, didn't look too bad apart from the damaged balsa side skin.. Tried F1, but the tongues were too tight, so used a needle file to open them up. When I was able to join both sides, I prepared some clamps & scrap wood & mixed a batch of 20 minute epoxy. I decided to do the good side first so I wouldn't stress the cracked side.. Before tackling the other side, I opened the cracks & squeezed in super glue. When the epoxy was set, I released the clamps & transferred them to the bad side, tightened them enough to start the tongues in the holes, mixed another batch of epoxy, lathered it onto the tongues & mating surfaces, then tightened the clamps. Managed to get epoxy drips on the comic*** That's it for today.

p132.jpg

p133.jpg

p134.jpg

p135_edited-1.jpg

p136.jpg

Edited By Stearman65 on 23/01/2019 14:23:23

Edited By Stearman65 on 23/01/2019 14:24:54