Nutball

Nigel R

Fats,

there was a 'seat of comfort' flown control line at the (Hullavington) NATS unorthodox event around 1966. There was also a pair of ladies' underwear, inflated to an appropriate shape by the use of glass fibre resin, also flown under line control.

As a shy young reclusive aeromodelling 15 year old teenager, I had no idea why it was called 'Ducted Fanny' until some several years later.......

Some neat work as always there dave. I like the pushrod guides. Definitely a more involved build but almost anything would be longer than mine!

Servo position in mine was set by the pushrods I had to hand - 12" welding filler rods. I guess I could join two together somehow.

I left the nose section deliberately long so I could get balance easily enough. It has worked ok but I would imagine your method removes jusr a little more structure.

Where do you source the carbon rod?

Thank you David, got the concept. Thank you for the carbon fibre website. I had lost the address, they are good, and they do epoxy colours, just the job for a epoxy skinned aircraft, to get a weight free base colour.

Query, if you stuff an epoxy coated balsa core, in a protruded tube, would that not improve rotational stability to stress fracture.

Edit, for a fee, my whippets like mice for breakfast. Small high speed bits of fun, the mice, not the whippets.

Edited By Don Fry on 12/01/2019 19:30:34

As usual David Mellor's somewhat different construction technique is worth studying and gives food for thought.

Some months ago David suggested the HK Donkey ST3511/810kv was a good buy so I bought several. I am tempted to make a Nutball after reading this thread. So what size Nutball would suit this motor David?

Thanks David - at 40 inches that's bigger than I expected for the ST3511 motor. Presumably the laminations are 3mm, 5mm and 3mm the same as the 28inch?

That carbon rod L/G looks just like a piano wire job with soldered joints - is it really carbon fibre?

I am wondering how the angled tips are done on all these Nutballs - are they partially severed from the main wing and bent up or are they separate material just glued on?

I see now - the 'spreader bar' seems to be the bit thats bent to go through the wheels rather than the 'legs' - very unusual to those of us brought up on David Boddington/ Vic Smeed/ Peter Miller designs!

But that's the interesting thing about David Mellor's models and also Nutball style designs -they don't take the traditional construction as the accepted way to build but innovate using any available materials not not just balsa and piano wire. I particularly like the use of 1/64 ply in small pieces as reinforcement.

• 3 years later...

Just revisited the Nutball design for our winter indoor season. Results:

10" diameter 'Pizza':

Pizza1.thumb.jpg.0184ccd0459ca6758a55025dc1230075.jpg

(Vapor/Ember electronics and motor unit on a 1S LiPo, with rudder/elevator control {don't worry, the pushrods are now connected using heat shrink!}. 3mm Depron construction throughout, including the  'pepperoni' wheels (with clear yoghurt pot plastic covers that provide axle bearings. Felt tip pen decorated. AUW 24gms)

...and 16" diameter 'No Fly Zone'

No_Fly_Zone.thumb.jpg.d5239de887f2d834b6bedfe8125d3bc9.jpg

(Brushless motor, Spektrum DSM caseless rx, 5gm servos, elevon control. 3mm Depron with 1 carbon fibre rod laterally at the 25% root chord, with Micropore tape reinforcement over that and the dihedral joints, hinges and around the perimeter to protect against 'wall rash'! Brushed acrylic paint scheme. AUW 88gms)

The Pizza gets its maiden this coming Saturday at the St Albans MAC indoor meet in a local school basketball court sized gym hall. The No Fly Zone was maidened last mont (without paint scheme) and was an absolute hoot It shot across the floor and into the air then could be wrung out like a shockie, or flown in 4 foot diameter tightly banked circles in your face space. It's been re-propped (7" versus 6" ) to tame the speed and improve the hover.

Roger T

• Like 2
  • Haha 1