RadianPro Battery question

flyeruk

I have just picked up a Radian Pro.Can anybody tell me if 4s 1800 Lipos could be used in this glider?
Reason i ask is i have a load of these batteries and only a couple of 3s lipos.Just trying to use what i already have if possible

Edited By flyeruk on 06/01/2019 16:59:00

Advert

Posted by flyeruk on 06/01/2019 16:58:21:
I have just picked up a Radian Pro.Can anybody tell me if 4s 1800 Lipos could be used in this glider?
Reason i ask is i have a load of these batteries and only a couple of 3s lipos.Just trying to use what i already have if possibl.

The answer is - yes not a problem so long as your ESC is rated for 4s but you will need to use a smaller prop. Using a prop on 4s that keeps the current at or below that taken when using the original prop on 3s there should be no overheating poblems.
If the current drawn on 4s when using the smaller prop is 3/4 that drawn on 3s with the original prop then the power (Watts) will be greater. But because the smaller prop is less efficient the actual thrust will be less.
If the current draw is the same then the power on 4s will be 1/3 greater than on 3s. There will be an increase in thrust but not by the same proportion.

Re the battery size & weight, a 4s 1800 should be the equivalent in weight to 3s 2400 but in practice there's virtualy no difference in weight or dimensions between, for example, a Turnigy 4s 40C 1800 & Turnigy 3s 40C 2200.

Regarding "what sort of flight times should i get just general sports flying?" - with a 3S 1800MAh pack, on a calm day, with no thermal activity, I can drift around and achieve 30 minutes without problems. If there's any sort of favourable light wind on my forty-foot-or-so slope this figure goes up significantly. 45 minute, and plenty charge left in the pack.