Chipmunk C of G

I have this to maiden soon.

img_20190120_122727.jpg

It's a Seagull 80" jobbie.

Now, I don't wholly trust manufacturers recommended C/Gs so I thought I'd canvass opinion here.

What other Chipmunks do you fly? And where is the C/G in percentage terms, at the root?

So that we all measure the same, please exclude any wing fairing but obviously do include the flaps.

Seagull's setting comes out at 33% which with the slight sweep forward (or less taper of the LE than the TE), means it might be a little aft?

Advert

• 1 month later...

My Airsail Chipmunk (apparently very close to scale as it was originally designed as an international level competition scale model) is shown at around 4.5" on a 13" root chord. The designer (Brian Borland) has stated that this C of G is conservative and can be moved backwards to suit the pilot.

I'm not sure where my C of G is now but I certainly set it to the plan position when I built it 17 years ago and it's always been a very well mannered model.  If it's any guide, spins are predictable but scale like without aileron input, the rate increasing after a couple of turns with the nose dropping. Recovery is less scale - almost instantaneous by simply centralising the controls.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/03/2019 15:41:27