When an update is not always a good thing!!

Kevin Fairgrieve

Under Open TX 2.2.2 I used switch SF as a simple override for the throttle channel.

So switch SF in the up position, throttle disabled down throttle active. Easy and I know it works.

Updated to Open TX 2.2.3 last week.

Went flying today! Failsafe all worked but switch SF is now labelled "Trainer"in the special functions screen!

So no safe throttle when switch SF in the up position.

Some times I hate progress.

For now I have gone back to 2.2.2.

frown

So beware, next time you do an update do as I do and check before flying.

Going back to 2.2.2 was simple at the field, since the reintroduction of the two finger salute.

Both trims to the centre and turn on. old firmware flashed from the firmware folder.

Kev

Advert

Hm! That's interesting! Like you, I use switch F as a throttle lock on electric models - having previously used it as a "throttle hold" on helicopters for auto-rotations. I updated to 2.2.3 a few weeks back and didn't notice any change, but there again, the weather hasn't been all that clement so I haven't done much flying!

Thanks for the heads up, though, I'll keep an eye open for this!

Just a thought: You did select the right mode (1 or 2) when downloading? The "trainer" switch is usually the spring loaded one - top right in mode 2, but possibly top left (SF) in mode 1?

--

Pete

I accept this is annoying and agree it shouldn’t have happened, but wouldn't it have been easier to just adjust the special function directly rather than going back to the previous version? Is it not as simple as changing the Trainer function to Throttle override? Or am I missing something?

Ps - Personally I never use a single switch throttle cut on an electric model, it is too easily knocked which could result in the throttle becoming suddenly open with zero notice. Instead I use a sticky throttle cut where throttle is only activated if the switch is in the desired position AND the throttle stick is at the bottom - downloadable examples are here, with more description on this thread.

Edited By MattyB on 29/01/2019 18:22:05

As I understand it, there are times when openTx release a new version that causes the EEPROM contents to need to be adjusted. This is only done in companion I believe.

First I suggest you backup the EEPROM in the radio using the "Backup to file" option in companion.

Then you might try installing Companion 2.2.3, read the EEPROM from your radio into it, flash openTx 2.2.3 to the radio, then write the EEPROM back to the radio from companion. Companion may well have updated the EEPROM contents so your SF function is now correct.

I don't use openTx myself (I use ersky9x of course), but this is how I understand it works.

Mike

Posted by Attilio Rausse on 29/01/2019 20:42:56:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2727927-FrSky-Horus-X12S-A-new-beginning/page1043

post 15643 and 44

That was my post over there 15643

nooveridech was selected!!

I used a new workshop computer for the first time to download the latest version.

Another moral to the story is check your Companion is set the same on each computer.

Tomorrow I will re flash the firmware and try again.thumbs up

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 29/01/2019 21:54:37

Posted by MattyB on 29/01/2019 18:15:54:

I accept this is annoying and agree it shouldn’t have happened, but wouldn't it have been easier to just adjust the special function directly rather than going back to the previous version? Is it not as simple as changing the Trainer function to Throttle override? Or am I missing something?

Ps - Personally I never use a single switch throttle cut on an electric model, it is too easily knocked which could result in the throttle becoming suddenly open with zero notice. Instead I use a sticky throttle cut where throttle is only activated if the switch is in the desired position AND the throttle stick is at the bottom - downloadable examples are here, with more description on this thread.

Edited By MattyB on 29/01/2019 18:22:05

I've used a single switch for ages and never had a problem with it but I like the additional security Matty's method offers. It only takes a few minutes to modify the options (although longer to change all the models as I haven't made it a global feature - perhaps I should) and it takes no time at all when I'm preparing to fly.

Good idea, thanks

Geoff

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 29/01/2019 21:53:58:
Posted by Attilio Rausse on 29/01/2019 20:42:56:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2727927-FrSky-Horus-X12S-A-new-beginning/page1043

post 15643 and 44

That was my post over there 15643

nooveridech was selected!!

I used a new workshop computer for the first time to download the latest version.

Another moral to the story is check your Companion is set the same on each computer.

Tomorrow I will re flash the firmware and try again.thumbs up

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 29/01/2019 21:54:37

How did it go, Kevin ?

All sorted.

De selected nooveridech and re flashed.

First TX my Horus12S,I use just for electric went fine, This is the one I use that particular channel override function on most. Copied .bin file to the firmware folder, turned on with both trims to the centre and flashed the firmware. All restored to working order.

My second TX also an Horus12S, but this one upgraded from a BETA to full production version hung at about 80%.

Nothing and I mean nothing was shifting it. Only one thing to do then. Crack the case and pull the battery out!
That left me with a completely dead TX. Had to go through the drama of downloading Zadig (again) using my Taranis for it to recognise the STM32 boot loader, for some reason it would not link to the first Horus.

So flashed the new firmware from the PC. Eventually normality was restored. Why does flashing from the PC take so much longer than from the .bin file on the TX?

The flashing to my Taranis was also completely painless.

I am also going to take a look at MattyB suggestion about using a sticky throttle cut. I have been using my current way for about 4 years, ever since I got my first Taranis.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 01/02/2019 06:56:45