Higher Quality Heat Shrink

Nigel Heather

Does anyone know where I can buy some higher quality heat shrink.

Got plenty of stuff that you can pick up at shows and there is loads of that on eBay too. But that stuff has a powdery colour, the red in particular is very dull. It is also very thin and stiff.

Sure it will do the job, but when I look at professional finishes on batteries, ESCs, motors, they use stuff which has much more vibrant colours and has a thicker and rubbery finish.

Anyone know where I can buy that stuff?

Cheers,

Nigel

The small tubular shrink wrap I get for wiring -- say 1mm to 6mm diameter -- is a different material from the flat stuff I get for batteries and small electronic circuits. The former is, as you describe, matt in texture and rubbery, though I don't know what the material is; but the latter is shiny and tougher, made of PVC. Go to eBay and search for 'battery shrink wrap'.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 02/02/2019 21:49:43:

The small tubular shrink wrap I get for wiring -- say 1mm to 6mm diameter -- is a different material from the flat stuff I get for batteries and small electronic circuits. The former is, as you describe, matt in texture and rubbery, though I don't know what the material is; but the latter is shiny and tougher, made of PVC. Go to eBay and search for 'battery shrink wrap'.

Ah yes, that would be three types. I know what you mean, the wide flat stuff is a plastic type material like PVC.

Then when we come to tubular stuff I’m sure there are two types at least. The most common in my opinion, the stuff you find cheap at the shows and all over eBay is not like the battery shrink wrap but is still quite a thin and stiff. The colours are muted, quite dull, the red is tending to a pinky brown colour and the black more of a slate grey.

Then you get the stuff I see on purchased items like batteries, motors and ESCs. This seem thicker, more rubbery and flexible. The colours are more bright and solid too. It is this stuff that I am trying to find.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Barryorbik on 03/02/2019 09:21:10:

Nigel,

The adhesive lined heatshrink is the one I use for motor/esc and battery connections as it is the rubbery type, and although slightly thicker once shrunk, the internal glue gives extra protection, and provides a watertight seal around the joint as well.

Barry

That makes sense. Where do you get that from?

Cheers,

Nigel