Fresh petrol in a lawnmower every season?

kc

Advert

Posted by Jason Channing on 06/02/2019 17:17:05:

I love the way things get exaggerated over time. Kart engines have never run at 22k unless the chain snapped,>>>>frown

Yours might not, but ours certainly did.cheeky

Nowadays, they are rev limited, I believe, but our Vortex, Parilla and CRG 100cc reed valve Formula A motors were not.

Depending on the track, they would be geared to max out at anything between 20 and 22k. They were well over their peak power, which was at around 17k, but you had to gear them to pull strongly out of the slower corners without the help of the clutches which they have nowadays.

Highest I ever saw was 24k....................when the chain snapped!!

KIm

(Crew chief for ex Buckmore Park KC vice champion and Super 1 (British Championships) competitor).

No

We're way off topic so I won't post any more than this on the subject, but you were a bit before our time.

Our Parillas were TT42's and were tuned by Piazza somewhere in Europe (sorry to be vague, but I don't retain 'stuff' the way I used to), or for the later heavy crank motors, Bruno Ferrari. They were rotary valve motors, but would run to 19k all day (well, to their 45 minute 'life' anyway).

The Vortex and CRG reed valve motors were buzzier and at places like PF or Three Sisters were running to well over 20k (they don't call it conrod straight for nothing). The rods would stretch over time and our builder would replace them when they got to a certain length (obviously only a few thou, but measurable).

When the homologation changed to water cooled motors, we got left behind as we couldn't afford to re equip with all new motors and packed it in rather than be un-competitive.

Then we started racing cars...............................................surprise

Kim

p.s. And the petrol still went off after week or so!!!

I was having problems starting our push mower. I always made sure the petrol was fresh. I then checked for spark and not all that good so replaced the coil. Now if there is something wet in the tank it will go. Amazing difference.

Another mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine went quiet the other day. It was possible to spin the blades freely. Hmmm.... It would appear the conrod has broken.

I recently recommissioned a motorbike that I hadn't used for 14 years. There was about a gallon of petrol still in the tank. All I did was charge the battery and press the starter. It worked perfectly, though it stank of old petrol. Even the MOT tester commented on the smell. After it passed the MOT, I topped up the tank with fresh petrol and went on a 300 mile tour of Yorkshire. In summary, I'd say that petrol would have to be substantially evaporated before you get any detrimental affect. It can hardly evaporate if it's in an enclosed container like a fuel tank. I don’t think there's even a breather hole in my lawnmower, so even less chance of evaporation.

Posted by Dave Hess on 14/02/2019 10:43:11:

I recently recommissioned a motorbike that I hadn't used for 14 years. There was about a gallon of petrol still in the tank. All I did was charge the battery and press the starter. It worked perfectly, though it stank of old petrol. Even the MOT tester commented on the smell. After it passed the MOT, I topped up the tank with fresh petrol and went on a 300 mile tour of Yorkshire. In summary, I'd say that petrol would have to be substantially evaporated before you get any detrimental affect. It can hardly evaporate if it's in an enclosed container like a fuel tank. I don’t think there's even a breather hole in my lawnmower, so even less chance of evaporation.

14 year one petrol predates ethanol contamination. So it's still at least dry. And it did not contain oil to go off.

As I've said before, my outboard manufacturer says, E10 fuel is good for a month.