What do you guys use to fix teflon tubes to carbon tailbooms?

Is there a special method for securing teflon tubes to things?

I'm in the process of repairing and modifying a 2 channel glider I made last year. The mods include adding a teflon tube for the rudder servo pushrod. My plan is to epoxy it in after roughing up the outside of the teflon quite heavily. I want the epoxy there anyway to partly replace any strength lost by cutting through the carbon fishing rod tube.

I thought I'd get away with having both pushrods coming out of the tail end of the boom, but the rudder fails to turn the plane once airborne, so I worked out that I'm not giving it enough leverage.

The other "swappable" mod will be a different set of wings, with ailerons and maybe flaps.

Everything's an experiment, so it's all fun in the end.

Advert

I reckon your system will work Chuck, roughed up you will get the Teflon mechanically anchored. Alternatives, use some lightweight epoxy filler in your mix, it thickens it and aids application. And don't forget that 2 pack epoxy putty you see in hardware shops.

I would favour the latter, minimal mess option

Posted by jrman on 09/03/2019 23:38:21:

Wrap the Teflon tube with masking tape(the cream coloured crinkly paper variety) in the area that is to be fixed and then glue in position with epoxy.

Edited By jrman on 09/03/2019 23:39:39

+1. After wrapping roughen the outer surface of the masking tape as some have a non-stick coating.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll open up the cutout a little more to allow for the masking tape. But I'll wait till I've been into the office at work next week to see if they have any used toner cartridges and will let me have one. (they may be on a recycling contract though)Then I can use the toner powder instead of baking soda or talc to thicken the epoxy. I'd rather have it black to blend with the carbon tube.

Otherwise I'll have to wait till I can get one off eBay, as I don't want to shell £30 or so for a PC World one.

Boom mod