Connecting two batteries in a model.

Hi all,

I have a twin electric model that needs quite a lot of weight in the nose so I thought I might as well fit in a second battery as there is room and I might as well make use of the extra weight.

I want to use 2 batteries as all my models use 3s 2200 batteries and I do not want to buy larger ones just for this model.

My question is this, is it better to keep the batteries separate, ie one powering each motor or wire them in parallel so in effect it makes a 3s 4400 battery and run both motors off it?

My thinking is the latter as if they were separate and one battery ran down before the other for any reason i would then get asymmetric thrust but I am by no means an expert.

Thoughts please?

Cliff.

At one time it was common practice for battery makers to assemble packs in parallel - designations such as 4000 4s2p denoting a pair of 4s batteries paralleled together (with the balance leads also connected in parallel internally coming out as a single lead/plug).

I have 2 4000mAh Rhino packs configured as above which are donkeys years old and have seen very regular service in a model used as my go-to hack for most conditions - they still give over 3600 mAh with plenty of reserve after several hundred cycles (I habitually fly them in a telemetry equipped model which alarms at this point although they are still producing good power) so parallel charging does not appear to have harmed them at all.