Cordless - Dremel or Aldi special?

Andy C

Advert

I have no experience of this particular thing but I have several Aldi tools - Routers, cordless drills, Jigsaw, Aligator saw and SDS Megadrill !

I have always found them to be very good and indeed I had 3 Black & Decker Aligator saws that all broke but the Aldi is now 4 years old and going strong (it will probably fail next time I use it but I have had my money's worth). I also have an angle grinder.

I had a 24 volt cordless drill and the chuck jammed and I could not change speed. Brief phone call to the company and a postage label was emailed to me. Off to Germany and came back within 7 days with a completely new drill. Same with a floor steam mop a new one came very quickly.

I had a Dremel cordless for a long time. Eventually the (NiCad) battery wore out. A fine tool, just balance the work rate against what a battery can support.

i bought a Lidl replacement, Lipo battery. It's Ok for light load jobs, but if cutting or sanding, loading the drill is a nightmare. Slightly overload, and it stops. The old drill slowed, and you backed off pressure.

So the 240 volt job does the real work nowadays.

In fairness to Lidl/Aldi tools. If I were thinking of laying out the thick end of £100 on a cordless drill, I would like a grind with it first..

I have both a Dremel corded and one of the Aldi cordless machines. I'm happy to use the cordless for most work, simply because it is convenient. It wheezes a bit if overloaded (that is, it stops!), but I haven't found that to be a problem. I simply unload the motor or go over to the Dremel corded machine.

I've had several cheap copy 'Dremels' over the years, and with the exception of the Aldi example that lasted all of 15 seconds from new before failing (money refunded no problem) they've been ok but nowhere near as good as the genuine article that I got from B&Q three or four years ago. It's a corded, mains power type and cost around £45 - personally I'd pay a bit more and go for the genuine article.

Hi

I have just bought the aldi cordless (dremel) £17 , more than happy with it , i don't have any experience using /owning a genuine dremel so i can't compare.

I don't always think you get pay for

hopefully you will be happy wih whatever you choose

tim

I bought a cordless Dremel when I was working in the US in 1998 (had to get a 240 to 110V transformer). The 7.2V NiCad still holds full capacity, the drill permanently has a 1/16th" bit in it and is so small and handy it is untrue. Would not be without it. Current ones are not US built (Russian I think). I bought an Aldi (or was it Lidl) one as a spare. Works fine and can recommend it. Also have mains B&Q one (Skill) which is great for the heavier work and you can still get spares for them.