Chiltern DW1a plan

Hi all.

I'm looking for a new project, don't like to have an empty building board for too long. This one has been on my 'To do' list for a long time, trouble is I can't find my copy of the magazine. Can any one help please. I can download the plan from Outerzone but it does not show the front fuselage for the DW1a version (inverted engine) which is the one I fancy. The drawing for the inverted engine was shown on a separate page of the magazine. There was also a good 3 view drawing in the mag.

thanks in advance.

Cheers John

Advert

John, i am sure you are looking for the wrong magazine - you surely mean RC Scale Aircraft Feb 94 not Flying Scale Models which only started publication later.

Anyway i have the RC Scale Aircraft magazine and as you said it has the plan extra part including cowl formers on a magazine page. Send me a PM with a normal e-mail address and I will scan the page for you.

Are you building the .20 size or the .40 size? ( for those who don't know this was a dual size plan 48 inch span or 64 inch which showed 2 different sizes of balsa to make either size )

Edited By kc on 06/06/2019 19:17:41

kc

Thanks very much, that was a pretty quick response. Yes I was wrong about the title, another senior moment.

I'm planning on building the larger version & converting it to electric. It looks like a straightforward build & being a Boddington design is bound to fly well.

The full size is a very pretty airoplane, built in the 30's. A couple of years ago I saw the two surviving examples flying together at Shuttleworth.

Thanks for helping. Sending a pm now.

Cheers John

Hi,

Plans are all sorted. Thanks to outerzone, local print shop (only £5) & kc for providing the missing bit of the plan.

It all looks very straightforward thanks to DB. My only concern is the spatted undercarriage which is also very rigidly fixed, smooth landings needed. There is no mention of control throws or C/G position on the plan.

I'll post some photo's when it gets started.

Jim, your model looks great.

cheers John

I have just built the Denis Tapsfield 30% DW 1 .The u/c pants are held on with a pair of springs with hooks which are working OK The pants are made from 1/32 birch ply formed round a suitable sized tin . The ply is soaked in hot water,then clamped round the former

Alan

Jim, is that really a 48 inch span version for a .61? or is it the larger 64 inch?

Frankly I doubted that the 48 inch would be classed as a " great flier" even if built lightly with a .20. I expected that a 48 inch with tapered wings and chunky fuselage would be a marginal flier! But the 64 inch sounds a better proposition.

KC

Definitely the 48",got it in the car fully assembled,the Enya 60 fs was never a powerhouse,the model was flown by the late Brian Park ( designer of the Hairy Gnome ) and it flew very well,got snapped up by a club member shortly after the first flight.

That's good to hear.......when the original plan came out the plane was displayed on the Argus stand at Sandown or somewhere and although it looked pretty it appeared to be the kind of model that would be a handful. Of course it might be a handful with a lesser pilot......I think Brian Park was probably a highly skilled pilot!

Even so a .60 four stroke is way heavier than the designed .20 two stroke , so maybe it was fitted as it needed some weight up front?

As you say KC, Parky was a very skilled pilot,you had to be to fly the HG,his prototype went home in a bin bag more times than I can remember.

he eventually got it right and as its name implies it was a hairy little model,if I remember correctly he had a Taipan 15 rear exhaust up front.

apologies to John for straying off topic.

Hi

All views & opinions are welcome. Feel free to join in.

I 'm making it electric. Motor will be a Ripmax Quantum 40, 6s battery. Thats what I have. Should have pleanty of grunt.

The prototype first flew in 1937. It was powered by a converted s/v Ford 10 motor, 32 hp. It was a successful racer & had a top speed of 112mph & landed at 35 mph. Fully aerobatic. 3 were built befor the war plus the DW1a with a more powerful motor. Quite remarkable. There ar two examples that you can see flying at Shuttleworth.

Does anyone know where the C/G should be on the model?

Cheer John