Aliphatic glues

Gary Murphy 1

Following tips and builds etc, it seems Aliphatic glue is a good choice. I have seen the very thing stuff used to wick into tight joins.

My LHS had Deluxe models Aliphatic (but white?) and Super phatic. Got both.

i have found the Super phatic not good to sand, it seems very rubbery , have i used to much or not allowed enough time? i used straight from the fine nozzle like CA.

Advert

Hi Gary, I reckon the sanding problem is an aliphatic thing. I do use it from time to time, but only when I need to move things about a bit, as it dries slowly

Why not try cyano, The thin stuff dries instantly, with absolutely no sanding problems. The thicker ones are a bit slower, but no sanding problems

ernie

I use super phatic for fine joints , it penatrates a bit and tend to leave it over night ( if the joint is too tight then it won't wick in the joint), also I don't use that much so it fillets/beeds the joint as thats not doing anythig . also i find it slightly rubbery so don't use it for jobs that need sanding afterwards, I perfer it to syno as no fumes.

I use aliphatic glue for skinning/ scarf joints, sheeting etc as its stronger and sands ok

all these glue have thier best aplications they are suited to.

I use these glues a lot and find them very good. With the Superphatic, I use enough to soak in, allow it to dry then add some more if needed later. After each use I dry the area ( not the joint) with kitchen towel to avoid any problems later with sanding. Most of the time I use aliphatic but the Superphatic definitely has its uses and is good on some hinges/plastics/foam.