Dismantling and cleaning

playtime222

I've got a 4-Max PO-5055-595 that's been on the shelf for years untouched. I finally took it down to look at mounting options for a TN Lysander and turned the casing and the prop shaft (by hand). I got a lot more resistance that I was expecting and some white crap came out of it so I think something has got in there and needs a clean. I undid the 2 grub screws at the back but can only remove the shaft - I can't move the casing more than half an inch.

It may be the magnets, something may be stuck in there, etc. I've put it back together for now but what is the proper methods for dismantling and cleaning a motor?

Cheers

Thanks.

Indoors in a box drawer but it's near a location where the wall sheds a bit of plaster occasionally.

The stuff actually felt soft tooo. A couple of tiny lumps fell out and I could squeeze it with my nails.

Already 4-Max and waiting.

Let's hope I can get it open.

Watched a youtube vid on dismantling engines and they just pop the casing off, no drama. So I obviously had something physical stopping it.

The next attempt, mine just popped off too. And I found a staple and one of the grub screws that secures the shaft I lost the first time I tried to dismantle it. You couldn't make it up. Everything fine, no sign of oxidation, bad scratches or anything.

So a bit of good luck this time around.

My first step is always to dunk it in acetone/thinners to dissolve Castor Oil gum etc The castor itself can leave a white film but it usually washes away with solvent/ Step two try to tighten (a little only)All screw tiny bit of movement then quickly loosen An old engineer's trick, Works better if still moist with solvent/ oil in the threads.Even better if warmed up a bit

Believe me I'm no expert with electric motors but a circlip failed at the back of an electric motor last year while I was participating in a competition. This permitted the shaft to move forward and out of the casing causing the motor to stop. I got a new circlip from Model Fixings.

I'd look for a circlip at the back of the motor if I were you and definitely replace it with a new one when you rebuild the motor.

Posted by playtime222 on 27/06/2019 14:35:15:

Watched a youtube vid on dismantling engines and they just pop the casing off, no drama. So I obviously had something physical stopping it.

The next attempt, mine just popped off too. And I found a staple and one of the grub screws that secures the shaft I lost the first time I tried to dismantle it. You couldn't make it up. Everything fine, no sign of oxidation, bad scratches or anything.

So a bit of good luck this time around.

Good result thumbs up glad it wasn't my doomsday scenario.