Hi there

Well jumping back into the hobby after a thirty year break. On retiring in december last year treated my self to a trex 500 all went well back to stable hovering in the garden then thought what about aircraft discovered foamboard quick and simple aircraft construction ...love it. Then came the problems first where to fly ,still not solved that.And then the biggie insurance wanted to go BMF but went to buy the insurance and discovered if i buy now i still pay for the year rip off came to mind at the moment im a little disappointed what ever happened to this hobby being fun and still cant get used to having to buy everything online . Keep telling myself it will all work out .

Advert

Hi Anthony, welcome back to the fold !

If you have a look at the last item on this page **LINK** you will see that BMFA membership is reduced from 1st July, so you can join, and benefit from the associated insurance, without paying the full annual membership.

The BMFA club finder will help you find a flying club near you.

Hope you're successful.

GDB

Aha, beaten to it !!

Edited By Caveman on 03/07/2019 07:43:25

Thanks for the welcome guys, just about to go on the BMFA site and sort the insurance. The flying club ,well to be honest just fills me with trepidation all the talk of A and B certs and rules that i realy dont understand i am kind of old fashioned just want to fly and have fun while im doing so.

"The flying club ,well to be honest just fills me with trepidation all the talk of A and B certs and rules that i realy dont understand i am kind of old fashioned just want to fly and have fun while im doing so."

With respect.

The club rules are almost all there purely to stop folk from hurting other folk by dint of lack of common sense.

Maybe a rethink is required if your idea of old fashioned is ignoring any rules and doing what you want.

Flying in a club environment requires a certain amount of co-operation with your fellow man, like most every other activity in human society.

An A cert is generally taken as an indication you are capable of all of that.

With respect nigel R you assume that my need to make the my experience of the hobby fun will in some way make me unsafe this is far from the truth. My background before my retirement was in aeronautics where safety is of paramount importance, i understand the A cert may reflect a degree of competance many years ago i joined a club my experience was dissappointing this time i would like to get it right. In the past there was aways the local friendly model shop to point me in the right direction this option no longer availible that is why i searched for this forum, so in a final word nigel R in no way am i unco-operative with my fellow man or do i ignore sensibly rules which make the hobby safer for all concerned.

Clubs vary and it may depend on whether you were unlucky enough to only speak to the worst club member!

If you state your approx location maybe a forum member will suggest his club and suggest a good time to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update, roger did look on the dark peak mac website but sadly i think im to far away from the flying sites i no longer drive. Im torn between giving up on the idea or resigning my self to just hovering my heli in the garden received my members handbook from the BMFA and insurance thought that would be the difficult bit but where to fly to be honest has me beat i think i may have been a little naive in my thinking the idea to fly rc planes came about after being on you tube and looking at the flitetest site build a foamboard aircraft have fun make a memory. I now have to aircraft ready to fly and has much has i enjoy the construction process if i dont get to see them in the air i may has well do them static sorry to appear negative but i have no idea where to fly living in a inner city area.