Funfighter thread, Cambria & Cambrian only, discussion & pics

dscn6335.jpgI had one of these years ago, a Hurricane with a .25 2 stroke in, it went really well and was a lot of fun to fly, i sold it when i stopped flying glow. I have recently bought an old P51 which had been flown with a .15 in it which i am going to convert to electric and last week at Wings & Wheels i bought a ready built Spitfire which is electric. I like the simple construction and the bang per buck with the performance so i will be buying a kit from both Cambria & Cambrian. Interested in others planes, pics, set ups (glow and electric) thoughts etc and how you launch yours!.............Martin

mustang1

20190630_210643_resized.jpg

20190630_210705_resized.jpg

spitfire2

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2019 19:26:13

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2019 19:29:46

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2019 19:33:37

Advert

Nice models. I had the P51 and FW190 from Cambria which were both I.c. One had a Enya 19 while the other was Irvine 20 powered. The Irvine was a good choice as the Enyaxlacked grunt. I am looking to get a Cambrian Spitfire for electric to see how it compares. It will be good to hear how your Spit performs.

Just checking it over, it has a vibration at full throttle, narrow ring spacers on the prop adapter and the plastic spinner don`t help and the prop was an unidentified 8x5, the motor in it should take an 8x8 as recommended by Cambria. Got some on order so probably be Tuesday before it can be tried. The previous owner said it wasn`t that fast, not surprised on a 5 pitch.........

I've got the Spitfire (2 examples) and the Bf109E.

The Bf109E originally flew with an Enya 25SS and went like stink. I converted her to electric in the early 2000's with the first AXI 2820/10 brushless outrunners and 10x1250SCRC cells and was very happy with the performance. Since then she's been tried, rather less successfully as a slope soarer and that is how she's set up - following a few repairs the Emil is a little weighty and so needs a decent blow.

cambrianbf109slope.jpg

My first Spitfire originally flew with an OS 25FP, but was also converted with AXI 2820/10 and 10x1250SRRC cells as my first funfighter conversion(I've since done the Westfield F86 Sabre as well). That Spifire is now a PSS model as well, rather more successfully than the Bf109E.brimmond 7th june-1.jpg

spitfirepass.jpg

My second Spitfire was donated by my clubmate Derek and is significantly lighter than the other two, having been built originally as a PSS model and that flies brilliantly off the slope.

takkatakkatakka (2).jpg

In converting the glow-powered funfighters to electric I found that filling the big hole up at the pointy end was achievable with minimal hassle by carving a foam plug to fill and then slathering a couple of layers of glasscloth, epoxy and microballoons to make a hatch, fitted with tiny screws to the airframe.

I have a kit for a 109 here (Cambrian) and it looks dead simple to guild, i believe the Cambria ones are similar in construction so they should be the same. Foam wings and sheet fuselage sides, compared to a lot of kits, quick to build, GO FOR IT!

I will be picking up a Cambria ki-61 Hein kit at the NATS. If you like i will do a build blog on here so you can see how easily they go together.

Vibration on full throttle has now been sorted, a 9x 6 APC electric prop with no spinner (waiting for a proper electric vented one to be delivered) Pulling a whooping 838watts at 57 amps, plane weighs 3.325 lbs so over 200 watts per pound surprise should rip the sky up! Got some 8x8 props on the way also as they will give more speed, will try both.

hi martin.

thankyou for the quick reply. if i build one [ i will ] it would be a brushless setup as my club are an all electric club, i think i would have to build a hurricane as it is my favourite warbird. if you could do a build blog on here that would be great. i have 5 traditional builds under my belt all with built up wings etc...hmm 838 watts on 3lb plane should be fun! its gonna get small fairly quick i imagine.

Posted by daniel handley on 07/07/2019 21:10:21:

nice models! i have always wanted to build one of these. how much experience in building would one need to be able to put one of these together?

dan

The Cambrian Bf109E was my third RC model this time round (I'd built s few others as a teenager 20+ years earlier). They are a very straightforward, simple build and they are brilliant to fly.

Some great pics of the Spits and 109 and yes I can imagine they are quite good as PSS models.

I have liked the funfighter sized models since as a teenager they started to make an appearance either as Cambria products or the Micro Mold /Rojair range of models or even as some of the plans that were published in RCM&E (Ian Peacock) for the Spitfire and ME109, and before them the Mini Sea Fury.

The size is handy for the car, launching and flying fun, and the fact that nowadays they make a good electric conversion or PSS model provide a lot of enjoyment. I certainly agree the P51 and FW190 were easy to build.