Moon landing

J D 8

Advert

Fascinating stuff Colin, you are a mine of information. I had no idea about the American involvement in the early Harrier project or indeed the Hunter. A special relationship indeed. yes

Seems like there is quite a bit of US cash going into the UK SABRE engine project of late. Not before time.

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 23/07/2019 17:23:20:

According to my uncle, they always put new doped flaps over the gun ports after a mission. Why?, he said that once the pilot had opened fire he lost 10 mph off his top speed???. I know its not moon landing sorry chaps.

Our Javelins had fabric over their gun ports in 1963

One night the QRA Javelins where scrambled. When they came back their guns were empty. The crew refused to say a word. We never did hear what they had been shooting at.

It was the excuse given for a change of policy, The hatch came away and could have been stored either side. Aldrin jokes [has a little dig ? ]   about the door as he leaves the LEM saying  " He better be carful and not lock the door on the way out ".

Edited By J D 8 on 23/07/2019 22:20:29

Although Armstrong had a distinguished career in the military, at the time of Apollo 11 he was actually a civilian and much was made of that. I believe that behind the scenes within NASA hierarchy, the virtue of having a civilian making that first step, trumped all of military serviceman Aldrin's claims to be out first. Even the Apollo 11 mission badge was changed, because it was felt that the original design was too belligerent in its style.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/07/2019 08:52:18

No way that I can go flying with the sun and heat as it is at the moment, so have been making some progress with my Revolver II. Whilst working on the rotor blades and thinking about our discussions here, I just remembered about how as a kid of eleven back in '68 or '69 I used to get the American comics as well as our own ones, but often how dynamic and modern the US ones were compared to contemporary domestic types. I was facinated by the adverts for all types of stuff that just wasn't available here and in particular, model rockets (surprise, surprise!). The comics were a glimpse on an idealised image of American life and compared to a sleepy town in North Norfolk, everything American looked great (it wasn't, but that's another discussion).

Wish I kept them now, some are quite valuable with all the modern super hero films mania..

With the Apollo programme at full stride, the thought of having your own miniature proper rocket, rather than a catapult type was so exciting, and as nothing of the sort was available here, I wrote off to one of the US manufacturers in the comic called Centuri. Months went by but eventually they wrote back with a catalogue (might have been this one - looks familiar. **LINK**

Everything was there, motors, rocket kits, parachutes, launching gantries, how to get started etc ..........the Keil Kraft catalogue used to excite, but this was something else!

Big problem though....................you couldn't easily send money abroad to buy goods back then and the catalogue mentioned an 'International Money Order' would have to be sent to pay for said model and equipment. With the naivety of youth, I recall going into a local bank and asking for help to send my meagre savings to Centuri and mentioned the IMO. The teller, just looked down at me and told me to "have a word with your parents, sonny" and I'm afraid that was that. Don't know what happened to Centuri, perhaps they were taken over by Estes?

When my grandson get a bit older, guess what present he's likely to get now that model rockets are easily available now yes laugh(motors are expensive though).