Getting New Members

Our Club gained some new members today in a most enjoyable way, here's my report from today's display at Newton Abbot, S. Devon.

clock tower display 27.7.19.jpg

We had 21 planes on display and we all had really interesting conversations with the general public. Personally I spoke with a pilot of a Liberator and Dakota, an observer of a Liberator both in Egypt, a chap who's Dad flew observer in a Swordfish over the North Atlantic and a GWR retired worker who remember Spitfires at Little Haldon. He also spoke about De Havilland's landing at Little Haldon to be picked up by the GWR bus and ferried to a GWR hotel in Torquay!

Another chap told me of his 250ft O-gauge railway in his back garden and another chap whose hobby was building and repairing trailers of every sort.

All in all a really varied day full of interesting people.

Oh, and Steve Pope photographer turned up from the Mid Devon Advertiser (just over the road) and took quite a few pictures which will appear in the next edition so make sure to pick one up. In fact quite a few people said they saw our display advertised in the MDA and came down especially.

As a final bonus I think Cliff will confirm we had three new members sign up to the club and two may-be's. We also distributed loads of old magazines to interested youngsters and their parents ... great PR for the hobby.

The picture shows our display early in the day, the sun probably helped a lot as well.

If you're looking to find new members I have to recommend this as a pretty good method.

We have a marquee at the local steam fair each year. We draw a good crowd with the flying display we put on, everyone watching enjoys it as it’s something else to see for the entry fee.

The fair committee is 100% behind us. It’s not also about getting new members but putting the friendly and responsible face of model fliers close to the public who may not come across us every day.

d1ed0c17-7a9b-4744-8097-e69f18c3192a.jpeg

995a54b3-c02b-4ecf-b0f4-60f2362ebfac.jpeg

Excellent work Cliff (and Cymaz) getting out to see the general public really does work in both letting them know what we do but also in recruiting new blood, following these types of static displays up with a club open day where people you talk to can come along and have a go using the buddy box has really worked well this year for clubs that have done so. Keep up the good work. We will be expanding the Flightfest theme for 2020 as it has worked well for clubs. If any clubs needs any assistance contact the BMFA office and we can send promo stuff, print posters, come and try vouchers etc etc, also get the simulator to you if its at all possible.