Extra Hot Chilli

I have done most of the equipment installation and managed to test run the motors. The ST 90,S are still the round head ones so they are over 30 years old. Started easily and run very well but produce quite a bit of vibration at low RPM. the Props are APC 14X 6 and have been balanced. The long nacelle does not help. Cg is too far forward at the moment so some lead in the tail will be needed. All up weight is just under 5 kg so good throttle management will be needed when flown. My son helped with the test runs and we had the Grandson to supervise!

Advert

I went to test fly on Sturday morning with my son and assembled the plane and did all the checks and made sure all was working the right way and rates set correctly. My son double checked and we did a range test and the 35 meg PCM receiver was good. Motors started easily so it was time to fly. Take off was at about 1/2 throttle and quite a bit of right rudder needed but easily controlled. Climb out needed quite a bit of up trim, a combination of noseheavy with all the fuel ahead of the CG and also I normally have a little down elevator set up before a test flight. I did a few circuits and then gave the TX to my son who was happy with the way it flew. One motor then lost a muffler and then quit. Landing was fine other than one retract did not come down so it confirmed that the tip design was good as no damage was done.

The muffler had stripped the thread so we could not sort it out at the field so we flew our other aircraft. When I got home I fixed the muffler and the retracts as I needed to make a hole to allow the axel more room in the wheel well. Late afternoon I went back to the field and had another good flight, motors are not very happy yet as a combination of one new and one used is not ideal but the airframe is good so not really an issue. The flap slows the landing approach well and no pitch is experienced at low throttle.

These are the links for some of the flights: https://youtu.be/E4qsLxP0wKk and https://youtu.be/jzvQcLjvbPE

Chris, Its been really interesting to follow the build and apart from a couple of minor teething issues looks stunning and a "brilliant success" thumbs up Thanks for taking the time to share much appreciated.

Is the link correct only I can't get it to open.

David

As the airframe has flown it earned its colours so the stickers have been added! I think it looks quite smart and is very visable in the air. My son and I had 4 more flights on Saturday and the airframe has proved to be taking its trainer role very seriously. We had 2 more 1 engine landings, 1 was after a slow low pass with Byron at the controls and 1 when I was at the top of the loop. Both times were not overly traumatic, much like my old Twin Slim that I had, Use throttle and rudder and bring it back for a landing. To complicate the situation is that 1 engine will mean that you only get 1 wheel just to make sure that you concentrate. The other 2 flights were great with the motors really on song and having the bonus of 2 wheels for the landing. The rudder is very effective and allows nice take offs and control when a engine quits. The flaps are very effective and very nice to use when landing. The only problem with the plane is the amount of fuel used, the 2 14 once tanks sure empty the 5 litre bottle fast.cw45.jpg cw46.jpgcw47.jpg

Looks (and sounds) ace Chris - great job on this one.

"To complicate the situation is that 1 engine will mean that you only get 1 wheel just to make sure that you concentrate. The other 2 flights were great with the motors really on song and having the bonus of 2 wheels for the landing. "

Not sure I understand, how do you mean by 1 engine = 1 wheel?

For some reason the retract will jam in the up position and does not come down when the motor quits, works fine when both motors are running? It has something to do with the up lock of the retract, I need to see if I can get the retract to release when lowering the gear. Works fine on the bench but I must check when the air pressure is higher as the retracts retract quicker with higher pressure.