Extra Hot Chilli

I recently had my 55th birthday and decided a fast car or young lady was not what I wanted so I decided that a nice sport twin whould help get the blood flowing. I have taken the plan of the Chilliwind downloaded from Outerzone and enlarged it to a fuselage length of 1.8m and a wingspan of 2m. This will form the basis of the build and the rest will be done as we go along. The wing will have flaps and retracts. Power will be 2 original ST 90's that are about 30 years old, one is still brand new in the box and the other has had around 15 flights. I cut my own foam cores and my patient wife helped me with this. She did complain that my side of the cores are not as smooth as hers.

Wings and stab have been sheeted with 2mm balsa applied with latex glue. The fuselage is being joined in the jig and will be long and sleek.

ct 2.jpg ct3.jpgct4.jpg

Advert

One of the motors was originally used on a Bud Nosen Cessna 310 over 25 years ago. The 310 had a 10 foot wingspan and was a little marginal on take off but was great once in the air, I am sure it will find the Chill a breeze in comparison! Part of the reason of doing this project is to re learn the set up of twin engines as most of my recent projects have been electric so it will be nice to get this done. My son and I have a few projects that need to be finished and we need to get the confidence to use glow motors as electric on a big twin is expensive and a bit of a cheat in some ways. We have a Bodo DC3 that was crashed 30 years ago that can be fixed, a esm DC3 anda ESM B25. Throttle management will be important on this plane along with good hinging, servos and pushrods. We have a big Heinkel that is electric but it is seldom flown, a pain to transport and get all the lipo's charged.

105.jpg111.jpg

We had a bank holiday on Friday so I managed to go flying twice and get some building done, Saturday was a good building day as it was cold and windy. The wings were cut for ailerons and flaps and the leading and trailing edges added. Mounts for servos done and retract mounts made. I made up ply sub ribs to give strength to the mounts as the loads will be quite high on our rough grass runways.

I have also done some work on the fuselage and started making the parts for the nacelles.

No Idea on the weight yet, I am not one to try and build to an exact weight. I use the wood needed for the task and you will see that all my balsa has its weight on the sheets so that I can select the wood that I need. The flaps will be bottom hinged, much like a Mustang. I have found them easy to do and work well on a wing like this.

I am very lucky to have a large workshop with 4 work benches so I can work on 1 piece whilst the other is drying and I also tend to be a fast builder.

I have started mking the wing tips, I start with a ply skid that extends quite a bit below the wing that protects the tip and also the servos in the event of a retract failure. I have used this a few times on other aircraft I have built and all had good low speed handling so it may even assist in this area. The tip design was done on the wing and not on the plan so I make it up as I go along.

cb11.jpg cb12.jpg

The Nacelle is also done in much the same way and is progressing well.

cb14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues, the wings have been hinged, servo lead channels melted in the foam and then joined. The wing center has been glassed along with the stab. The fin and rudder have been made, they are quite a bit larger than shown on the plan. I have now made one cowl and it makes the nacelle look long but I did not want to cut into the wing for the tank so that was the determining factor to the length of the nacelle. I need to start to do the servo mounts and pushrods so that the fuselage bottom can be closed.ct11.jpgct12.jpgct13.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The progress has been good and I have now started to cover, I have used what I have in stock so the covering is Oracover, Orastick, Hobby King, Solarfilm Polyester and Monokote! Not as many colours as it sounds. I forgot how nice the Solarfilm was to use, it is most of the red covering. I had a whole roll that was about 20 years old but still works well.

I also managed to get a whole heap of Futaba servos second hand it better than great prices and was given a couple of OS 2 Strokes that had been slightly damaged in prangs and will be buying 60 and 95 second hand to give me a few options on motors if the ST 90's give any problems. I always manage to forget to update the album and will have to post pictures later.

Thanks Nigel. You must start to cover or are you going to do it over the winter period? We are in spring here so lots of flying to look forward too.

I was given 3 fx 61's, will get 2 that can be used, 1 x 95 that needs the remote needle valve bracket welded, 1 AX 120 that has a damaged carb body and 1 older 40 that is fine. Motors appear to have had very little use so are well worth fixing. Also got an old Enya 80 with pipe, motor just needs a good clean.

Will be getting another 95 and a 108 at a great price so I will then have more doubles for twins, have kits for the YT/ ESM 110 and B25 plus a half built DB/ Inwood models DC3.

I have almost completed the covering and am sure glad that it is now just a few bits to be done. It has taken quite a bit of time but I think it will look good in the air. Still got to do a few more panel lines which are in Monokote so it is more ironing! The nacelles have been painted with epoxy so I can now start to install the equipment. cw30.jpgcw31.jpgcw 33.jpg

That looks ace Chris.

AX & FX always seem to run nicely, judging by the IC flyers at my club.

I've started covering on mine now - I've finished the nacelles (I found them quite fiddly with all the inside corners between them and the wing) which leaves me with "a regular model"s worth to go... definitely trying to get it in the air within the next few weeks.