Binding DX6i to AR6200

Paul Jones 1

Hi guys, hoping you can help. I bought a second hand Spectrum DX6i with an AR6200 receiver, it was initially unresponsive, I was aware that I had no bind plug, one has now arrived in the post. I've tried binding, I've powered up the receiver, it's flashing correctly to indicate it's ready for binding, then I held down the TX trainer switch, turned on, and the TX indicates Binding..... but then nothing happens, the RX continues to flash, and the TX continues to say it's trying to bind, but seemingly it never does, I've sat for 5 minutes and nothing. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong ?

Many Thanks

Paul

Have you tried outdoors, with some (10 ft plus) distance between TX and RX?

Indoors can be a little flaky sometimes.

Minor point to add to the above post - I don't believe there is a specific setting, I think the early model DX6i simply bound in DSMX mode if possible, or DSM2 if not. Later DX6i were DSMX only, as Denis says.

Posted by kc on 02/10/2019 19:12:02:

The chart above shows settings you should use. It does not allow for the late type UK/EU spec DX6i etc which are DSMX only if imported after Jan 1 2015

This also applies to earlier versions of Dx6i's sent back for repair after Jan 2015.

Posted by Kevin 216 on 03/10/2019 08:32:02:
Posted by kc on 02/10/2019 19:12:02:

The chart above shows settings you should use. It does not allow for the late type UK/EU spec DX6i etc which are DSMX only if imported after Jan 1 2015

This also applies to earlier versions of Dx6i's sent back for repair after Jan 2015.

Now I thought that pre DSMX only units, i.e. Ones that does DSMX and DSM2, after repair still did both protocols. I certainly remember this was the position stated by the Horizon service people when they were UK based. Has it altered?

One thing that's caught me out in the past with initial non-binding with a new RX is forgetting to plug in the satellite RX - I think I'm right in saying the 6200 comes with a satellite? Also, the satellite lead can fracture at the rather wimpy crimps in the tiny connector (no idea why they didn't use a standard servo plug/connector) this will look ok as the insulation appears fine but the conductor can (as I've found out) fail because the crimp strain relief part tends to crush it and break the wires - no binding and no reconnection. The Orange leads from Hobbyking and fleabay are much better than the OEM's in this case.

If the satellite lead fails in flight, there's not a problem, but the system won't reconnect next time you go to fly.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/10/2019 12:00:54

I wonder if it's possible the Rx has actually been bound all along! To check what actually happens - it's a year or two since I last did Spektrum- I went through the process as per the manual with a DX6i and the AR610Rx did flash after binding but eventully it worked OK when a servo was plugged in. The ESC played up a bit and confused the situation - didnt play the right tune until I operated the throttle up and down sequence a couple of times.

My DX6i is the later type ( post 2015 ) which is DSMX only but it still shows DSM2 as an option under Modulation Type in the Setup menu- but it wont work as DSM2- it's obviously been crippled in the software but not changed in the menus. So looking on the menu won't tell anyone whether it works on DSM2 !

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 13:53:29

Posted by Steve J on 03/10/2019 13:26:08:
Posted by Cuban8 on 03/10/2019 11:51:39:

I think I'm right in saying the 6200 comes with a satellite?

The 6200 came with a remote, but will operate without it.

Steve

That's interesting. My early DSM2 and DSMX seven channel RXs would definitely require the remote plugged in but yes, it looks like some RXs will work OK without. A lot of confusion on other forums that I've just looked at re this.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/10/2019 15:55:06