Black 5 twin IC from Sarik Hobbies - Anyone Know it?

I recently acquired plans from Sarik Hobbies for a twin IC model called Black 5, designed by Dale Tattam. Unusually for plans from Sarik (or formerly Traplet), there is no build article to accompany them. Being an experienced builder, I don’t particularly need this for the 'build instructions’, however I would like to know a bit more about the background to the model. The fuselage has a particularly angular, rather ugly, slab-sided design, and I would like to have known the rationale behind this.

Does anyone know (or has built) this model, where/when or which magazine it first appeared in; or indeed, anything about Dale Tattam?

My reason for wanting to build such an enigmatic model is that I have two RCV58-CD 4-strokes which are homeless at the moment, and they’re exactly the right size to go into it.

black 5.jpg

Edited By EvilC57 on 14/10/2019 16:02:54

Advert

Posted by Phil B on 14/10/2019 20:24:04:

That's an interesting one. Please keep us updated. I fancy a twin trainer for 2 46s or 80FS. Would it do? I have a Dale Tattum plan on the go - Corben Super Ace 60 inch Laser 45. Lots of inaccuracies in the plan. I hope yours is better.

Hi Phil, the plan says it's suitable for two 50-70 size 4-strokes, so you might be able to squeeze a couple of 80FSs in.

I'd noticed a couple of omissions already. He's forgotten to include any details of for the main undercarriage legs (although I'm sure I can come up with something suitable), and there are one or two parts which are drawn, but have no labelling as to what they're for or where they fit. All part of the challenge of building something unusual I guess.

And I guess more anomalies will crawl out of the woodword once I actually start building.

Something else to finish first though, so I doubt I'll start this one until well into winter.

At 62" I think you'd need to watch the weight - the wing loading will probably be quite high if you go to 2 x 80 FS. From memory the RCV are not especially powerful motors? My guess (pinch of salt) is that 2 x 52 FS would be more than enough. 2 x 46 might be overkill.

I'm in the closing stages of finishing a 62" twin, power is only going to be 2 x 40 FPs.

Mine is quite similar to this - **LINK**

which was designed around two old crossflow OS 35s. My effort has a touch more wing area and a slightly longer fuselage.

Another simple one, probably more suited to 2 x 46s is this - **LINK**

as it has enough wing to carry the extra weight.

Yes I guess 80FS is outside the 50-70FS recommended by the Black 5 designer - the engine outlines on the plan are described as 'Laser 50/70'.

As for the RCV 58s; you are correct, they're not especially powerful. I know this because I did a 'real world' tachometer comparison between one of my RCV58s and an OS 46AX on the test bench. Using the same 12x6 APC prop in both engines (within minutes of each other, so the atmospheric conditions were identical), the OS gave 500RPM more at full throttle than the RCV. So the RCV probably only produces about as much power as a good 40-size 2-stroke.

Edited By EvilC57 on 15/10/2019 10:53:53

• 2 months later...
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 14/10/2019 23:32:25:

It looks a bit like a twin-engined version of Dan Santich's Hots or Super Hots.

Just to finish the story on this in case anyone is interested. It turns out that the accompanying article appeared in RCMW in December 2001. I've now managed to get hold of a copy of this, and in the article Dale Tattam says that he based it on the Super Hots - so Robin C was right!

The trouble is that although the wing and nacelles are fine for my RCV58s, I don't much care for the slab-sided (Super Hots) look, which I why I'm hoping to transplant in a different fuselage, I've written about it here.

Edited By EvilC57 on 19/12/2019 17:30:45