Latex paint anyone?

Advert

p1020034.jpgYes, you guessed correctly. It's household emulsion. You can spray it mixed with premixed screen wash. Once its dy its not a bad idea to add a protective coat of varnish. It works surprsingly well, although I would advise using decent quality emulsion. I've had good results using Crown emulsion tester pots mixed in the local Crown centre. I would probably use Astonish floor polish now, [Great stuff - basically thin acrylic varnish and only £2 or a big bottle.]

Model above sprayed with the Crown stuff.

Edited By GrahamC on 21/10/2019 18:20:43

Gosh that's really helpful I shall try some test patches on doped fabric. I have water based pu varnish. I have not seen Astonish polish yet and never heard of screen wash for thinning. Maybe I should get a spray gun? What is recommended kit for spraying? I don't have an airbrush or compressor yet.

Posted by Phil B on 21/10/2019 18:32:21:

never heard of screen wash for thinning. Maybe I should get a spray gun? What is recommended kit for spraying? I don't have an airbrush or compressor yet.

Screen wash is the chosen thinner for acrylic paints and emulsions by sprayers as this easily

Breaks down surface tension like soap or washing up liquid

For your first foray into spraying just get the cheapest to start with

If you take to spraying everything, then go the expensive route later Phil

For now £10 - £12 airbrush will do, and a small compressor, £40 or less pre owned

Come back if you get some kit and I will advise on improving your gun and spray pattern with your existing modelling skills

To add, choose a dual action trigger airbrush

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/10/2019 19:24:34

• 5 months later...

I'm starting to think about paint for my Tempest as I'm currently doing the glassing. I've used emulsion on many 1/12th scale combat models in the past but finish was secondary to function and I simply brushed on Skincrylic water based varnish as fuel proofer. When I built an electric powered Tony Nijhuis Mosquito I left the sprayed paint as was and was very happy with the finish.

Does anyone have any fuel proofing recommendations (no more than 10% nitro will be used) with emulsion paint, should I decide to use it? I'm looking for a semi-matt/satin finish ideally, and preferably with the benefit of experience.