Looking for a trainer kit

David Still 1

Advert

Posted by Don Fry on 23/10/2019 21:15:44:

Additional question. Do you intend to maiden it yourself.

We have two schools of thought. A trainer, or if power restricted a Wot 4. Both good. I wonder if the answers will change when you answer the question.

It will probably be maidened by another club member.

Dave

Yes - 1/2 a vote for a Wot4, as long as it's not overweight/overpowered they're friendly old things and almost impossible to stall/drop a wing, then with increased confidence put a bigger motor on the front ( electric or i/c ). However Mr Foss has designed the perfect plane to take you from gliding to powered flight - the Uno Wot - it's available with either a dihedral wing ( ie rudder, elevator, throttle ) or an aileron wing to give you the full four function experience, so you could start with the tamer RET airframe with a modest power unit on the front and with increased confidence and competence get the aileron wing and add a bit more gee up on the front to allow more progress. Then, when you're happy and confident flying your Uno Wot no longer under supervision, that's the time to progress to the Wot4.

"Does anyone have any experience of the Phoenix model products Shindig?"

No, but Phoenix have been very highly spoken of on this forum.

Also, the plan for the Shindig is accessible and for free download, and if it is not an electrified version of the DB Tyro design I will eat at least some of my own hat.

If you want a standard trainer it would be an excellent bet, I think.

IMHO the all time best trainer was the Kamco Kadet. It's a doddle to build, flies superbly thanks to a great semi-symmetrical aerofoil and can be flown as a three channel (rudder, elevator & throttle) or "full house" with an aileron wing.

Originally a club favourite from the 1970s the Kamco range has been revived somewhat by Rich Booth who can supply plans (search for his Kamco site on Facebook) and the wing ribs are available from eBay.

**LINK**

I'm sure SLEC would laser cut the other bits and pieces but to be honest it's a simple stuff designed to come out of standard sizes sheets.

Nick