Galaxy Domino lower wing dihedral

How much dihedral for the lower wing on a Galaxy Domino?

I am building one of these from a kit I bought on eBay last year. The kit is complete (I think) with the plan and instructions, but there seems to be a typo in the instructions, because it says in Step 38:

'Join the lower wings with no sweepback but each tip is packed up 0/0" for the dihedral.'

So obviously a fraction of an inch, but which one? I vaguely seem to remember discussing zero divided by zero in A Level maths, but that was 50 years ago and it's not helping me. I have studied the plan and the rest of the instructions to no avail (I might have missed something). I have also read the previous thread and build from 2012 (thanks Concord Speedbird, very helpful) but this didn't give me an answer.

Any suggestions?

Advert

Hmm. Thanks John I wonder, I've stared at lots of pictures as well. The top wing certainly is flat but the instructions seem to make the point that the lower wing is different, and direct me to pack up the wing tips when joining. In some of the pictures in CS earlier 2012 thread there does appear to be some dihedral, but not very much. Very confusing.

Thanks Dennis, its a foam wing with a fibreglass bandage and no brace, but, your suggestion did make me go back and look at the plan and the parts again. After studying the wings i can see that the root of the lower wings, where they will join, is cut at an angle, if I match the edges up by hand, then one wingtip is raised about 3/8 inch. This obviously isn't very accurate though. If I do the same thing with the upper wing halves I get the impression of a flat wing. I am becoming convinced there should be a small amount of dihedral. Not sure how much (possibly 3/8 inch).

I've just measured mine and with one half of the wing flat on the board the wingtip has 1 and 1/4 inches under it (so 5/8" under each tip). Sounds more than I expected, a little less would make minimal difference to flying characteristics. I'm pretty sure I just joined it at the angle it fit best...

It's a great aeroplane, been flying mine consistently for 7 years now and it still flies really nicely. Please do update us on your progress.