CAA announce New drone trials !

Engine Doctor

Advert

Steve J,

I agree that the technologies already exist, my thinking is that the volume of data to be transmitted and stored will require expensive service providers to host it all.

I don't even have a smartphone*, never mind an air time contract for data transfer.

(*I prefer a small, light, cheap device with many days between battery charges and a Pay as You Go SIM).

A system that relies on mobile data for the safe detection of a small aircraft is doomed to failure.

Each signal loss = one missing aircraft which presumably will sound an alarm on someone's system. I can't get a reliable signal on my phone, let alone a small model whizzing and twisting around the sky!

Posted by Steve J on 29/12/2019 09:09:39:
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 28/12/2019 23:33:16:

Is this not a solution?

Listing long standing sites in section ENR 5.5 of the Aeronautical Information Publication would make more sense to me (they do this in a few neighbouring countries). The 13 sites with permission for 7+kg over 400ft are already listed in the AIP.

Absolutely agree. Let each model flying site be registered as a no fly zone for all other aircraft. We fly inside the zone and others keep well away from it. This would by the way also make model / flyer registration even more pointless.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 29/12/2019 17:42:22

Posted by Gary Manuel on 29/12/2019 17:41:41:
Posted by Steve J on 29/12/2019 09:09:39:
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 28/12/2019 23:33:16:

Is this not a solution?

Listing long standing sites in section ENR 5.5 of the Aeronautical Information Publication would make more sense to me (they do this in a few neighbouring countries). The 13 sites with permission for 7+kg over 400ft are already listed in the AIP.

Absolutely agree. Let each model flying site be registered as a no fly zone for all other aircraft. We fly inside the zone and others keep well away from it. This would by the way also make model / flyer registration even more pointless.

Their not going to do that, they want your money. I would suggest more, much more than at the moment. Site assessment fees, site registration fees(annual), operator fees(still wanted and increasing),possible test fees, I'm sure people can think of more.