Another plant that needs identifying.

Erfolg

I am now heading for the third summer at my new for me abode.

Having taken out one specimen tree contained in a large concrete floor an brick wall enclosure, as it was hideaously bizarre to me. Others though otherwise.

I have been trying to identify what the remaining trees are, which to my eyes are mostly conifers of one type or another.

The one below is one I would like to know what it is?

wp_20200106_15_37_03_pro.jpg

The cone things are about 12 mm diameter

There is a small similar bush next to this tree which is a hemisphere, whilst another is like an inverted ice cream cone (about 4-5 feet tall). Again any ideas. I can take pictures if necessary.

I am trying to improve the garden, not destroy it as my wife has suggested I am doing.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/01/2020 15:52:14

Advert

Thanks for the help.

The link provided by Plummet lead to almost certainly the correct plant a Dwarf Hinoki Cypress.

The other plants also appear to be dwarf varieties the pointy tree is probably a dwarf Alberta spruce.

The hemispherical bush I have not yet sorted out.

My next issue will be a small tree that is on its last legs, which I will try and identify with a view of replacing like foe like.

It has saddened me that the garden was a true jungle, a wilding, when we moved in. At that time I did not take much notice of the stories that the previous owner was a committed gardner, although the garden had been neglected for many years.

Having cleared massive quanties of ground elder, nettles, a small forest of what I think were English Willow type trees. It came as a slow surprise that there was a couple of Rockies where massive stones/rocks had sunk almost completely into the ground. Most of these have been levered to the surface and soil packed under them. I have just found some more.

Much of what needs doing to regain what I think was the original design and concept remains to be done.

I have saved over £6,000 which a local landscape gardner wanted to undertake a clear out similar to what I have done so far.

It just saddens me that the original gardners dream, was mostly snatched back by nature. God dam untamed nature.crying 2

Thanks again, i suspect that I will need more identification help in the future.

Posted by Erfolg on 07/01/2020 12:22:53:

My next issue will be a small tree that is on its last legs, which I will try and identify with a view of replacing like foe like.

A word of warning. It is often advised that you do NOT plant a similar plant to one that has been removed, especially when it was poorly. It could just mean that the new plant gets the same disease, or at best, is planted into soil that has already been depleted of just the nutrients it especially needs.

Plummet

I could be wrong, I think the problem is that the tree/bush is old. I think the whole of the garden is old.

I will however keep in mind your comment/comments.

I must admit I am not really a gardener, at my previous abode, the garden took care pretty much of its self. I do not know if it is the sandy soil, but for me, it takes a lot of work. Particularly the lawn. At first it was weed infested. It looked like I had beaten the moss, the early dry summer killed a lot of the grass, then the moss came back.