Nigel's F-86 Sabre Build

I now have time to start my first PSSA build. Not being an experienced builder (a Wot 4 and Limbo Dancer previously) I will probably try to keep it as simple as possible. Do you need flaps and rudder ?

The existing build blogs look very useful and I'm sure I will find them a help with my build.

I haven't decided on scheme yet, as it may depend on the finish. I have only used film (not very skillfully), and glassing/airbrushing may be a bit of a challenge for a first attempt.

Advert

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the 'mad' club.

"Flaps & rudder' are optional, but as you will find out reading the different build threats, a rudder might be helpful in some occasions. Flaps the same but others swear by just using flaperons instead.

My intention is to go for a rudder and no flaps but scale ailerons, but as a newbie myself this is just a personal approach.

Anyhow, just have fun building the bird...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Nigel, great to see you underway!

It comes down to personal preference, but a rudder on a model of this sort of scale and layout certainly isnt essential, and as McG has explained, mixed Flapperons or Draggerons can be just as effective than separate flaps when needed. I guess fitting pure flaps would be beneficial if you are intending to build light and fly in light lift from smaller hills... ?

Regarding finishing, film will be absolutely fine if that's the way you want to go, many others will be finished that way too no doubt and it lends itself ideally on so many schemes. But of course, if you do fancy going glass (it does produce a tougher, longer lasting, low maintenance finish) then there is plenty of help at hand on these here forums!

It's all your choice! Enjoy your build!! thumbs up

I don't care for a rudder Nigel,we're not taking off from the ground so you don't need a rudder here,exept when you want to do stall turns ,it comes in handy.

Besides that it's not easy on this model with the belcrank for the elevator in the way...You would need to place the snake outside the fuse wich is not very scale smile p...No offence though.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Nigel.

1. Flaps - this is my first PSS model where I have employed flaps. I don't normally particularly on low wing models because if you don't retract them before landing they can be damaged. I have always gone for spoilerons before which do work. It is more important for models that land very fast. I don't know if this is one or not. I have however gone for flaps on a bit of a whim to try them out. If I was starting again, I would probably adopt Captain Phil's idea of putting the servos centrally on top of the wing rather than in the wing itself. It is done now so it will be a good experiment.
  2. Re Rudder - I love doing stall turns. If you look at my Jet Provost Build Blog https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=143878&p=11 you can see that I didn't include it, regretted it, then fitted the rudder retrospectively because it needed it. Some people eg Phil and Dirk never fit them. You might get away with not having one as this is a swept wing jet, but I am fitting one personally. I am going with plan ie a closed loop. That is because I have little imagination and do what I am told (ha ha ha!)

Edited By Peter Garsden on 30/01/2020 16:54:38

Edited By Peter Garsden on 30/01/2020 16:55:11

Thanks for the advice. I've kept the wing simple and not included flaps, although I have some concerns about the linkages underneath the wing. The wings are nearly complete and I will post a photo when I have worked out how to do it. I am thinking of including a rudder, just to see how it goes, apart from that I'm keeping it standard.

Peter: I have been following your Jet Provost Build Blog. It looks a very impressive model at a nice size. I look forward to seeing others of this size being flown and the plan and woodpack becoming available.

• 3 months later...

Slow progress to date but basic structure nearly completed. Looking ahead to finishing and time delay to get materials. I was going to use film but will now try glassing and airbrushing (another first) as I envisage lots of sanding on the fuselage. Hopefully glassing will give additional strength and durability. More practice needed on planking !!!

Can anyone recommend a brand of paint suitable for airbrushing and the quantities required ? The air frame will be an Aluminium/metal finish.

20200516_105737.jpg