Boulton Paul Balliol

Michael Denest

I'm building a Top Flite Contender and was looking for finish and markings that was different from the usual US Navy and USAF schemes. I ran across some three views and photos of the Boulton Paul Balliol and decided to use the markings of this Sea Balliol T.21.

I'm curious as to why this aircraft has not been modeled. The proportions are right for free flight rubber all the way to giant scale but I have found nothing in the way of plans. Is there anything available in the way of detail drawings that show bulkheads, airfoils, etc. I think this a very interesting aircraft and would certainly stand out over the usual P-51's, FW-190's etc. at the local warbird meet.balliol.jpg

Certainly a nice different subject and one that is rarely modelled, (Like a good few many others out there I suspect) This one reminds me of part Ju-87 Stuka but with the wings and tail feathers of the Percival Provost (which didn't come out until after this one)

There is plenty of info available on it though and still plastic kits available which I would certainly be using as reference material Link

There is also a very good thread here with some nice pics of the real thing Link

Some cross sections of the fuz on this link Link

And last but not least, Youtube will throw up some nice videos on this one 

Good luck.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 04/03/2020 03:13:48

The Balliol was not a popular aircraft.or a very good one.

When I was in the RAF in Cornwall I was offered a lift to London in one which would have got me nearly home.

I didn't take it becuse I would have had to lug a parachute all the way home and back to camp.

I was very glad later when I was told that if the engine just coughed the pilots would bail out because once the aircraft started down you could not get out of the cockpit.and it had a glide like a well trimmed house brick.

Well I've got a kit of a 55" span model waiting to be built. I also have some good documentation such as a 1/48 scale 3 view with sections. There weren't many full size aircraft built and I think the role as a side by side seated trainer was soon taken only the piston Provost.

Bouton Paul were taken over by Dowty's in the 60's. Back in the early 70's I had a work placement from Uni with Dowty's & was able to get hold of detailed factory drawings of the Balliol as I always thought it would make a good model.

The design & construction were beyond me so the drawings were passed on to a Clubmate who already had several model designs published in the mags with a view to producing a control-line version. Alas the project came to nothing & with the passage of time all has now been lost.

I'd still think the design would lead to a nice scale replica though.

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/03/2020 08:31:17:

The Balliol was not a popular aircraft.or a very good one.

When I was in the RAF in Cornwall I was offered a lift to London in one which would have got me nearly home.

I didn't take it becuse I would have had to lug a parachute all the way home and back to camp.

I was very glad later when I was told that if the engine just coughed the pilots would bail out because once the aircraft started down you could not get out of the cockpit.and it had a glide like a well trimmed house brick.

Seems like a waste of a Merlin in a sub par aircraft.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 04/03/2020 08:40:48:

Well I've got a kit of a 55" span model waiting to be built. I also have some good documentation such as a 1/48 scale 3 view with sections. There weren't many full size aircraft built and I think the role as a side by side seated trainer was soon taken only the piston Provost.

FF, RC or CL? Any chance of seeing the three views or a photo of you kit plans? I think it would make a good FF scale subject or large scale stand off scale model.

It was an R/C semi kit with foam wings and fuselage deckings, plus GRP cowl and clear canopy made by Chiltern Models (a small UK kit producer of the 1980s and 90s).

Having looked at the links provided by Mark Stevens earlier in the thread, my 3 view is the same as the one shown in his last link and you can see the fuselage sections there.

An interesting model. I have researched building an Avro Athena, which lost the competitive tender to the the BP Balliol. The Athena was produced locally at Woodford, and it seemed an appropriate model. I have 3 view drawings which I have scaled up to about 55 inch span, but have yet to find the time or confidence to start, despite the weather keeping me off the flying field for over a month!!

Tim

An interesting model. I have researched building an Avro Athena, which lost the competitive tender to the the BP Balliol. The Athena was produced locally at Woodford, and it seemed an appropriate model. I have 3 view drawings which I have scaled up to about 55 inch span, but have yet to find the time or confidence to start, despite the weather keeping me off the flying field for over a month!!

Tim

Tim

Thanks. I checked their website, unfortunately there's not much on the aircraft. I have found a patch of pictures throughout the internet though. One of the linked drawing above has some fuselage cross sections which helps. I think I can fudge the rest to make a decent standoff scale large size model. I might try a free flight rubber just to see how it flies.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward some pics of the aircraft I took when I was there. They may be of some use to you.

I took them with the intention of building an indoor RC scale model for the nationals, but decided on a Percival Prentice because of its much bigger wing area instead.

John M

• 3 months later...

Hello Michael.

I have recently joined the forum and spotted your interest in the Balliol, which, being rarely modeled attracted my attention a couple of years ago. I didn't go ahead drawing up the design at the time but retain interest in it.

I wonder where your thinking has taken you in the last couple of months now we have the current lock-down.

Best wishes,

Robin

Hi Robin,

Actually the thought hasn't traveled very far as yet. As I wanted to do my Contender (now almost complete sans a decent pilot) in something other than the above noted schemes, which now has had markings applied. I'll post some pictures later.

I have a three view drawing with some fuselage cross sections (some sections can be fudged from what I see in the photos) that could be developed; the wing section doesn't need to be exact but a good stable airfoil would make it a very nice flyer from rubber scale to giant. It has nice proportions so balance should not be a problem.

Granted, it's no Spitty or Hurri but it is unique in its own way.

Hi Michael,

Those were pretty much the features that caught my eye. Notwithstanding the history of the full size anything with the Balliol's features can be made to fly very nicely if designed and built light enough. I don't think scale speed comes into consideration much in the world of competitions (I'm not a competitive type) but I have made it one of my foremost aims over the last decade or so because I do hate to see a scale model being flown un-scale. Besides I prefer the road less traveled so an aircraft that hasn't been modeled to death is my choice.

When you do get round to doing something about the Balliol Perhaps I could help a little with a bit of lightweight design? At any event I hope to see how things go. I'll stay tuned.

Best wishes,

Robin

As promised, here are some photos of the Contender wearing the markings of Sea Balliol T.21 WP328. The markings were supplied by Callie Graphics here in the USA. It's currently 98% complete with the exception of a suitable pilot, final canopy fit, Cg and system checks. Axi 4120-14 motor with Jeti Opto 77 ESC and 5000ma pack. RTF weight is @ 2.9Kg (6.5 lbs).img_3111.jpgimg_3112.jpgpsgr7387.jpgimg_3108.jpg

Edited By Michael Denest on 12/06/2020 23:27:25

Edited By Michael Denest on 12/06/2020 23:29:04

Edited By Michael Denest on 12/06/2020 23:31:02

• 2 months later...

Here's the completed Contender dressed up as a RN Balliol. I want to make the first flight this week as I'm off to a meet next weekend and want to have tested before I go. Some stats: Axi 4120-14 with Jeti Opto 77 ESC and 4000 ma 4S1P battery which should get around 8 - 9 minutes of flying. The prop is a Master Airscrew 12-8.  Markings by Callie Graphics with Monokote and Ultracote covering.  Ready to fly weight 3.57Kg.

img_0928.jpg

img_0929.jpg

img_0930.jpg

img_0934.jpg

img_0933.jpg

Edited By Michael Denest on 30/08/2020 17:08:27