At last! Finally got out for a maiden flight

An ideal day today to finally maiden my newest project. Sparkling day with very little breeze around 6mph straight down the strip. A few still in case of a bag of bits ending - p1060289.jpg

p1060291.jpg

A video clip of the flight - take off and landing the best bits as I only have a head cam so really too far away. First of two flights with both going very well.

**LINK**

I have the assembly thread plus numbers on FlyingGiants if you are interested.

**LINK**

Here's to the next decent day laughsmile d

Advert

• 4 months later...

Just a bit of feedback on performance et al after 11 flights. Firstly, the Turnigy CA 120 seems well up to the job and strangely appears to be quieter in the air than my DualSky 60cc equivalent motors. It may say more about the propellor size though, but I am not sure. I have been using a 28X10 prop although I am considering using a slightly bigger one as an experiment. I think the set up can bear it. Given the price of 'em I need to be sure in doing this.

The other observation is she flies very well in windy conditions and holds the line and is rock steady. While I am using Overlander 10000 mAh x 2 lipos in a 12S configuration I am sure using a 14S set up would improve things further. I would firstly have to buy a new charger as mine (UltraPower Quad) will only charge up to 6S lipos, although it will accommodate up to 10000 mAh lipos. And of course different lipos would need to be sourced. I am not ready for that type of outlay just yet as I am happy with how she behaves currently. Safe duration is around 6 minutes before calling landing which is enough for me, although I accept this will not satisfy the majority of flyers.

• 2 months later...

An update after 2hours+ of use and trimming show her to be very capable at aerobatics. I have set all working surfaces at 100% with 20% expo on the elevators and 25% on the ailerons. No formula here just a finger in the air job.

With lipos fixed just behind the main spar the CoG is a tad rearward, but no vices noted. One thing that puzzles me is that while the upright flat spin proceeds normally, when I go into an inverted flat spin the first couple of rotations are quite normal and slow, but the next couple of rotations speed up noticeably before returning to normal speed. This is without any fresh stick inputs. Don't understand that one, but it's interesting to watch though!

The other observation is that while the Turnigy CA 120 motor does the job well it's a bit irritating that the prop shaft is only 30mm long and the thick hub on the prop only just fits on. However, I noticed that DualSky is now advertising the new GA8000 motor for 80-120cc aircraft. The prop shaft is 40mm which is much better and would also accommodate a 5" spinner too. Shame there is not any in the UK yet. I still think that she would probably benefit from a 14S set up too, but that would mean a new charger and 7S lipos ..... something I am not ready to do yet. Sticking to the 12S set up for the moment.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 22/09/2020 21:51:51

The point is Peter, while I could do that and I appreciate your suggestion, my charger only charges up to 6S which is what I use to charge my lipos and wire them up in series as a 12S. Hence my comment about the extra cost of new charger and 8S lipos (which I don't have) , that is of course assuming you can source 8S lipos upwards between 6A to 10A. sad

I know Overlander do them 8S, but they don't match the discharge rate on the 6S  10A lipos that I have

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 23/09/2020 19:13:48

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 23/09/2020 19:19:21