Mosquito Magic

cymaz

Advert

It is often mentioned about RR not producing a fuel injection engine to counter the ME 109. . Let us get the record straight. RR did in fact produce such engines and I worked on 5 MkV Spitres with these fitted at RAF Station. Millfield Northumberland around 1944. There were several civilian RR engine experts on the special flioght who did all the necessary inspection. I was only to do daily inspections. They ran on 150 octane petro;, not the usual 100 octane which was heaily leaded and after a few flight the sides of the fuselage was coated with deposit which I had to keep cleaning off. Whilst on this flight, I was asked to go on a DH Dominie to ferry an aircrew to Manston in Kent, and when we arrived we could see a row of strange twin engined aircraft without propellors. The Seciurity Officer made ius sign a book to say that we would not mention seeing these aircraft which were of course Meteors. The reason why the injection Merlins were not put into production is obvious - we were entering the jet age. T. Oliver.